Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cracked Firebox? Warranty?

Hungry in Lilburn
Hungry in Lilburn Posts: 756
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I went outside to set up my BGE large for a low and slow using a brand new Digi Q DX. Starting cleaning out the pit when I noticed a crack in the firebox. Oh no! How did this happen? It wasn't broken the last time I used it and hasn't been touched? Is this an issue? I am pretty sure from the way it creaked that it is going to break at some time from me picking it up to clean the egg out. My egg is only a year old is this normal? Any idea if it is a warranty item? I live in Atlanta so I should be able to go to the mothership and pick up another one. Ideas? Anyone else had this problem?

My brother-in-law is going to stroke, I talked him into buying one for Christmas!

Comments

• crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    covered...go get the replacement, leave it in the box while you cook for years on your cracked one. I believe several folks are cooking on ones that are in pieces.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    The warranty is in your owner's manual. It is also here...

http://www.biggreenegg.com/warranty.html

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• LOL! Okay! I noticed a month ago that grate in the bottom of the firepit had cracked as well. I assume that is just heat fatigue. I actually saw someone buying one of those the last time we were at the mothership.
  • Thanks, good to know..
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Saw your brisket/DigiQ post. You really need to start reading the paperwork that comes with your toys! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    The charcoal grate is covered under warranty also. Go get both.
  • Okay, thanks! I will do that on Monday.
  • Instructions? I don't need no instructions for my toys! :laugh: :ohmy: :P :side:

It gets worse. I bought my wife a new S&W 38 SPL+P and decided to convert her old 38 into my carry gun. I told her that since I now work days she doesn't need a gun for her side of the bed. I keep a Sig in my bedside so I told her to just make sure she could operate it. Soooo, I pulled it out, emptied the clip and tried to pull the slide back to check the chamber. :ohmy: It is a lot harder to do than I remember. So, I have to go buy another revolver to put in her bedside stand. Or maybe I will just buy me that new .380 S&W Bodyguard. It is really a cool gun but frankly I would have to beat the perp to death with my free hand because the .380 is just going to make the perp mad! :woohoo:

I did see a Ruger .45 ACP at a pawn shop yesterday, may have to go check it out.
  • Almost everyone's firebox eventually cracks and breaks into pieces. Mine did about 8 years ago and I'm still using it. You can get a warranty replacement if you like, but usually it just isn't necessary. Your dealer should be able to help you out if you do want a replacement, though. Good luck!
    The Naked Whiz