Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need Help - steak on new egg

Options
Egghead Willie
Egghead Willie Posts: 185
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just bought a small. First cook is tonight. My large has tomorrows B Butt going. So using the small. Is it a good idea to get the egg over 500. On first cook? Thought I just read something but can't find it.

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    I cook steaks on my small all the time at 400-450.
  • boston_stoker
    Options
    Some people have said that there new gaskets come loose on their first cook if they use high heat. Spatchcock chicken is a great initial cook and you don't go over 400 when cooking it. I believe 350 is the target temp if I remember correctly. The recipe can be found on the nakedwhiz.com.

Good luck with your first cook on your new small.
  • Egghead Willie
    Options
    So i'm not limited to how hot I go on first cook. At 450 how long do you go on each side before flipping
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    The new gasket issue has been discussed many times, but I don't recall any firm conclusion. It may just be that the standard felt gasket is not impermeable, and so can burn thru if it is new, and not well sealed with ash and grease. 700+ F at the dome is really hot, and any gap will let burning gases thru any gap in the gasket, and burn the felt.

But 450 dome will give a good sear, and not stress the gasket too much. So watch the temp. At 450, the fire can increase quickly, and zoom to 700 in just a few minutes.
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    I am not sure why there is the concern to get the egg up to temp soon in its life. The first thing I did on all four of my eggs when I got them was to see how hot I could get it. The gasket didnt melt off until I did pizza and the stone deflected the high heat into the gaskets. I replaced them with aramid (generic nomex) and they are holding strong.

I say let it fly, dont worry about the gasket. You are going to replace it later anyway, the felt ones dont last. Enjoy your steak!
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Move the steak closer to the coals, either put in more fuel or move the grid lower (not sure if the small has a fire ring to remove)....lump burns at some temp over 1000 degrees (one of the smart guys will chime in with the exact temp I'm sure)....by doing this you will effectively raise the temp you are cooking at (grate temp)without raising the dome temp.
  • Egghead Willie
    Options
    Thanks all. Im going to cook it just as I would on the large.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    cookingdude555 wrote:
    You are going to replace it later anyway...

Hahaha - not MUCH later! :) Mine lasted about a month, even with the first several cooks at low temps.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Egghead Willie
    Options
    How will I know it needs to be replaced? Won't hold temp or falls off?
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    You'll know. :laugh: Some come loose due to glue failure. Some melt. Some just sort of disintegrate. Some guys claim that their original lasted quite a long time. Neither of mine did. A matter of just a few cooks, none very hot.

The egg will hold temp even with NO gasket. A number of folks here didn't bother to replace theirs when it failed and they are perfectly happy. Right, Hoss? Personally, I like the cushioning so I replaced mine (both large and mini) with Rutland gaskets. Over a year on the large and still in great shape. Just did the mini a couple of months ago.

Rutland on Mini (bottom only)...

5114587645_a28e72e2fe_b.jpg

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut