Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Direct or indirect sear for prime rib

Options
schmeetex
schmeetex Posts: 69
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I cooked my first prime rib on the egg last weekend and loved it. Will try another soon. Still debating on initital sear or reverse sear...but have another question.

When you sear your prime rib,do you use direct or indirect heat?

Thanks,

SchmeeTex

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    A sear is done direct.....
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    unless it's done in a cast iron skillet

;)
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I get the Egg stable at 500, put the meat in indirect, set the vents for 350, and pull at 125 internal. It gets a perfect crust every time. -RP
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Yeppers.... :laugh:
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    ...that's how we use it here, and in 'grill land' in general. but you can sear a roast by putting it in a dry oven of high temperature, with no visible flame.

browing of the sugars in fat, etc. that's why we sear, and you can do it in an oven too. but in BGE world, we generally mean direct over flame. hows that for being inspecific? hahaha

that said... i find the way most folks hear sear a roast to be at odds with what they might actually be after. if it is black, it isn't seared, it's burnt. the point of searing is to brown it and carmelize sugars, brown the meat, etc. but many gung-ho grill warriors seem to like toasting a beautiful roast until it is black and gritty.

steven convinced me to return to my simpler ways and just roast the thing at a steady lower temp. it'll brown, and not blacken. and the internal temp will be more stable when you yank it off the grill
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    i cook them like azrp and go direct, if i was going reverse sear there may be a decision not to sear as it may look done after the initial roast, if i were to sear after the roast i would do it inderect over a pan (the fats already hot and dripping and i wouldnt want all that fat dripping on the ash all at once at the end of the cook). when they say sear on a big prime rib, they mean high roasting temps, no need to go over 500 degrees
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Great question. There is a lot of good information here. :)
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    That is still direct, just a different type of cooking.
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    You were influenced by Little Steven? I have some serious concerns now.

:)
  • tsheehan7
    Options
    I can achieve a nice sear at 500 indirect on a rib roast. Probably takes longer than it would direct, but you just have to plan for it. I used thirdeye's method. Low and slow first, then take it off, crank the egg to 500 indirect, then throw it back on to get the sear. I think you just pull it off about 7 degrees earlier than your ideal temp.
  • ranger ray
    Options
    finally a straight answer! thanks !..... rr
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    Happy Holidays Randy and Kim
    Do have a question. Been having trouble getting Large BGE up to mid 300s with plate setter in legs up lately. I tend to put it in when dome temp around 200-250 in cooler weather due to concern of cracking a cold PS!
    With ambient temps in the 30s and 40s, when should I put the PS feet up into BGE to reasonably expect a 500 dome and no PS cracks? Thanks ;)