Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Paella on the horizon

jeffinsgf
jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Caught a thread on here a couple weeks ago about paella and read the whole schmear on Naked Whiz. I thought it sounded like a great thing to try, so I dropped hints to the right people that a paella pan would make a great Christmas gift. I got the pan for Christmas, and today ordered some rice, chorizo and pimenton from paellpans.com. Looks like the first game of NFL playoffs will be accompanied by a paella party.

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    SWEET! I been tryin to work up the courage to try one. :)
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    Please post your results as I'm, totally intrigued!
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Put Fidel on some game at your Loney fest and he might give you some tips ;) The one he made before last years eggtoberfest was one of the best I've had.
  • Go for it.... :woohoo: :woohoo:
    Here is the recipe / method that I do. It has a great taste, but I'm thinking that doing the "sauce" and adding it atop the rice may improve it some...A friend of mine had it that way in the FL Keys last year and loved it!
    Haven't tried it that way yet, but...No matter...This is a good dish!

PAELLA
    (Seafood with Rice)
    With inspiration from The Art of Mexican Cooking
    Serves 6 to 8

1 t. chilli powder
    2-3/4 C. chicken broth
    1/2 C. olive oil
    3 Med. sized onions, diced
    2 chickens, cut (2lb. broilers or 2lbs. boneless chicken thighs or breasts)
    1/4 lb. ham, diced
    2 C. rice
    1 lb. (61-70) Med. shrimp
    12 oz. Bay Scallops
    12 to 24 fresh clams, rinsed well.
    ((2 (6.5 oz.) cans of chopped or minced clams))
    12 thin slices of Chorizo or Italian sausage
    4 cloves garlic, crushed
    2 to 3 tomatoes, chopped
    ((1 (15 oz.) can chopped tomatoes))
    1/2 t. saffron
    1 t. oregano
    1/2 C. dry white wine
    3/4 C. each of fresh, or fresh frozen, corn and peas
    Pimientoes
    Salt and pepper to taste

1)) Heat the chicken broth and chilli powder in a sauce pan. Bring to a boil, then low simmer.

2)) Heat the oil in a heavy cassarole or Lg. saute' pan, add the onions and saut' to a good sweat. Add the chicken and brown on all sides.

3)) Add the ham and rice. Once the rice absorbs the oil, add 1 C. of the hot broth. When the broth is absobed, add another cup of broth. Reduce the heat to Med. low and continue to simmer until the chicken and rice are "nearly" tender.

4)) Add the shrimp, scallops, clams and sausage, cover and simmer for about 10 minutes.

5)) In a muddler: Blend together the garlic, saffron, oregano and remaining broth. Strain this liquid into the casserole, add the wine, corn, peas and salt and pepper to taste. Mix through and heat thoroughly (about 5 - 10 minutes)
    Decorate with pimiento slices
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    I kinda had that on my mind. B)
  • jeffinsgf
    Yep, I'll take pics and report on my first couple paellas. Looking forward to giving it a try.
  • jeffinsgf
    Thanks for the recipe, Spuds. I may stick with some slightly less elaborate versions until I get a few under my belt, but I'll get to this one eventually.
  • PlanoOutlawGathering2010080.jpg

PlanoOutlawGathering2010081.jpg

PlanoOutlawGathering2010083.jpg

PlanoOutlawGathering2010088.jpg

Ku's Specialty!
    Plano Gathering 2010
  • vohsmk
    vohsmk Posts: 40
    I'm doing one this Sunday - a quail and mushroom paella from the cookbook "Paella - Spectacular Rice Dishes from Spain" by Penelope Casas. I'll let you know how it turns out. Hope it's good cause we are having company. :unsure: