Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Back Bacon (right, Stike?) smoking...

jeffinsgf
jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Here's an in process pic of a 3 lb piece of loin that I cured with High Mountain Seasonings Buckboard Bacon cure. It's been on a little over an hour. Smoking with cherry at just under 200F.

backbacon.jpg

Comments

• Pjoe
    Pjoe Posts: 224
    Oh yeh! Lookin good. I have one same size rubbed and in the fridge. How long did you cure yours? How long for the soak out?

Bill
    LBGE AR SMALL BGE WOO RING
  • jeffinsgf
    Cured for 13 days, rinsed for 3 hours with 2 water changes, air dried for 4 hours (the last was due to circumstances beyond my control -- I was aiming for 1).

Eggs Benedict tomorrow morning.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    have you ever tried without the soak out?

i have actually seen more recipes that don't call for it than do.

wonder if thirdeye will weigh in. none of the brines and cures from 'charcuterie' have been salty in my experience, for ex.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • jeffinsgf
    I used High Mountain Buckboard Cure, and the directions call for the rinse.

That was the last of that box of cure, so the next one will be from Ruhlman's recipe.
  • stike
    yeah. i know the recipe calls for it. just saying. i think aside from glycol, the basic cure is essentially the same. salt, pink salts, and flavoring.

wondering if it is solely a preference thing (modern palates preferring less salt), or if the recipe is actually much more salty.
  • jeffinsgf
    I dunno. Wife is a "that's too salty..." type, so I'll err on the side of caution.

I'll let you know what I think after breakfast tomorrow.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,738
    fry up a slice in the morning, if you think its too salty for the wife, two second rinse on the slice with cold water then fry
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • jeffinsgf
    Eh. She's not that picky. I just rinsed it because the package directions said to and it has worked in the past. When I try making my own cure, I'll follow Ruhlman's directions...at least once.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    I thought Loin Bacon only needed 5-6 days to cure....
    Is there a benefit associated with going so long?

I have some 3.5-4lb butts that have been curing for 8 days and was going to smoke tomorrow afternoon after soaking out in the morning.....
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,738
    im just going with an experience i had with canadian bacon i made once, must have added too much salt, tasted like a salt lick when i fried the first few pieces, 2 seconds in cold running water with the slices made it perfect.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • jeffinsgf
    The reason they were in the cure so long is that I wasn't looking at the calendar when I started them, and we were at my in-laws for a few days when the 10th day rolled around. :woohoo:
  • stike
    smart. don't forget, you can always blanch it before you cook. that'll lose much salt.

enjoy it. good stuff. and cheap, too
  • stike
    I think I go three days with the loin bacon
    Maybe that's why it doesn't need a soak
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Ron, My first time making BBB went great last week. I made two ten pound butts and deboned them and let them go for ten days. I did rince them and soaked them in fresh water for three hours. I let them rest overnight before the apple wood smoke. Very good and better than I expected. ;)