Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stoker Users

Pa_BBQ
Pa_BBQ Posts: 132
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Not sure if anyone is up or not, but just in case.

For those using a stoker, how do you set your top daisy wheel when shooting for a 225 degree temp?

I have the large damper partially open but wonder if just leaving the small holes fully open would be enough.
Large BGE
Meadow Creek TS120 Stick Burner
Stoker, BBQ Guru. 

Erie, Pa. 

Comments

•  
    It is not as important on the stoker as it is on the DigiQ or guru blowers.

I can close the DFMT all the way and it will still keep temperature if I am cooking under 300°.

Out of habbit I close the Slider all the way and open the pedals about the width of a toothpick.

Less that this
    eggsettings265_1-16.jpg

GG
  • I just leave the small holes partially open. Let the stoker do its job.
  • Pa_BBQ
    Pa_BBQ Posts: 132
    I have to say I feel great after a good nights sleep, set my iphone alarm for 5 am and just woke up and checked the status. Then rolled over and went back to sleep. :)

Thanks guys, leaving the small holes open half way and it worked great, in the past I had a problem keeping the temp at 225, wanted to creep up to 260 with the large damper partially open with the small holes all the way open.

I am using a 10 cfm blower.
    Large BGE
    Meadow Creek TS120 Stick Burner
    Stoker, BBQ Guru. 

Erie, Pa. 
  • It doesn't take much-just cracked a bit for 220. And yes, sleeping well with a stoker is priceless!
  • johnrezz
    johnrezz Posts: 120
    i leave mine closed all the way, no problems, normally plenty of lump left over at the end of a cook!!!

J
  • srq2625
    srq2625 Posts: 262
    On my LBGE:
    [ul]
    [li]I run Amir's StokerLog - great application
    [li]5CFM fan
    [li]Bottom vent closed up tight
    [li]Daisy wheel open just a crack - maybe 10% open, if that
    [li]Once the egg is heat soaked, pop the meat in and let it re-acquire target temp
    [li]Set alarm for target plus/minus 10°F, just in case
    [li]At that point, the fan will run for about 3 to 5 seconds every other minute or so for the life of the lump. Over a 16 hour cook, maintained 225°F plus/minus 3°F
    [/ul]
    Sleep is a wonderful thing!