Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Weisswurst, sauerkraut, Austrian potato salad

Options
2»

Comments

• The Austrian
    Options
    Here are some more German/Austrian words:
    In der Regel ;) isst man Weisswurst nicht in der Semmel sondern mit einem Bretzel und dazu ein Mass Bier.
    Koennte ich bitte das Rezept fuer den Oesterreichischen Kartoffelsalat haben? Danke und Frohe Weihnachten
    The "rule is" ;) to eat the Weisswurst not on a roll but with a brezel and together with a mass (1 liter) of beer.
    Could I please have the recipe for the Austrian potato salad? Thanks and Merry Christmas
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: fitting
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    boston_stoker, :ohmy: , I can't seem to get anything right :laugh: . I enjoy Weiss beer.
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    Hey, you're the Potatoheads, you should be telling me the recipe!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Will post the recipe under my reply to The Austrian.
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    Danke schön EggSimon! :)
  • Essex County
    Options
    We've got a German sausage store not far from where I live. Weisswurst is one of my favorites. There's a great link on their website regarding the protocol for eating weisswurst.

How to eat a weisswurst
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    Austrian, it seems I have broken every Bavarian rule there is and then some.

Austrian Potato Salad from Wolfgang Puck

Dressing:
    1/4 cup peanut oil
    1 cup Champagne vinegar
    2 tsp sea salt
    1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
    1 tsp minced parley
    1 Tbsp minced thyme
    1 small onion minced

Potatoes:
    2 lbs of fingerling or small yukon gold potatoes
    6 - 8 cloves of crushed garlic
    several sprigs of thyme
    3 Tbsp Kosher salt

Bring potatoes to a boil with the garlic, salt, and thyme sprigs, then simmer until barely done (I slightly overcooked mine). Let them cool until they are just warm, before slicing into 1/4 inch or so thick slices. (You can peel them or leave the peel on. In reality, even if you leave the peel on, 1/2 of the peel comes off when slicing).

While the potatoes are still warm, add the marinade. I slice two potatoes, then add some dressing while they are still warm, then I proceed on with two more potatoes. That way the potatoes are still warm when the dressing is added and I think they absorb more dressing.
  • EggSimon
    EggSimon Posts: 422
    Options
    eenie meenie wrote:
    Danke schön EggSimon! :)

;) you are welcome !
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    Paul, I've had properly prepared simmered weisswurst in a park in Germany and 1) ate it before noon, 2) I zuzelned it out of the skin, 3)used sweet mustard, 4)ate it with a pretzel on the side, 5)drank it with a beer (although don't remember what kind), 6) belched afterwards in satisfaction! :silly:

Can't seem to quite duplicate that expericence back home. ;) I know a German might be appalled, but it still made a good dinner despite being grilled along with all the other atrocities. :laugh:

Thanks for the link, now I won't have to leave the weisswurst etiquette to the Germans. :)
  • The Austrian
    Options
    Thank you for the recipe.
    As for eating Weisswurst - I was just kidding; the only rule I have is: there is no rule, except I got to have a good beer with it.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I was sure ther was an "N" at the end. Maybe I was calling that six foot barmaid sweetie.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    just drove by Karl's today. almost stopped in.....

Karl's is great.

eenie meenie's cook looks great, too. i don't have an issue with anyone grilling. i grill my brats proudly!
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    ......so you're proud of this stike????

BurntOfferingStike.jpg
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Aber, das ist nicht weiss oder bratwurst, liebchen!
    Das ist ein Amerikanisher weiner.

that reminds me, I used to dance under the name "Der Amerikanischer Wiener" when I was putting myself through medical school in Wiesbaden...
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • bullrich
    Options
    Hallo ? geht es euch noch gut ?

Eine Weisswurscht wird gekocht und ausgezüzelt ! dazu ein Weissbier eine Bretzel und Süsser Senf, mehr nicht ;)

so sieht das dann aus : :blink:

1674_1_1.jpg

Grüsse und schöne Weihnachten und einen guten Rutsch

wünscht

Marco aus Deutschland / Bayern B)