Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whole Green Ham

Options
Bluedot
Bluedot Posts: 82
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone ever cooked a whole green ham on their egg? If so, what advice can you share? I am talking about a whole ham, raw.

Thanks

Comments

• irishrog
    irishrog Posts: 375
    Options
    I prefer to cook my ham in water first, and then finish it in the egg.
    I think if your ham is well brined the egg will evaporate the water and just leave the salt taste, which will overpower the sweetness of the ham.
    Boil the ham in water first for about 2/3 hours, depending on size, then remove the skin. Skore the fat, and then coat with a mixture of grain mustard (or dry mustard powder) and muscavado sugar, mixed with Christmas spices such as cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, all spice and so on. You can make a paste with the coatings by whizzing all the spices in a liquidiser with some cider and some cider vinegar. You could also add some chilli if you like a little spice.
    Pour the mixture over the ham and cook in the egg (in a roasting tray) at about 300/325 for 1 hour. Baste with the juices from the bottom of the tray 3 or 4 times in the last 30 minutes, and then rest for 30 minutes before carving.
  • Metalhead
    Options
    I have cooked a fresh ham on the egg before. However I was not trying to make it taste like a ham, I was trying to make a pulled pork from it. It doesn't have as much fat in it as a shoulder or butt so it doesn't have a long plateau like they do.

I have a 22 llber in the freezer that I'll probably cook after the 1st of the year. The last 22 llber I cooked was on the BGE for 24.5 hrs. I did it with pecan chunks and a drip pan filled with onion skins, jalapenos and apple juice. Good luck and tell us how it goes.
    :woohoo:
  • Bluedot
    Options
    Am I correct in assuming that you cooked indirect? What temp/

Thanks
  • Bluedot
    Options
    Am I correct in assuming that you cooked indirect? What temp?

Thanks