Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's the menu for NYE?

mollyshark
mollyshark Posts: 1,519
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So far, doing those lovely mushrooms shown the other day. A raspberry chipotle pork loin, and those glazed lambie chops. Salad of course, and probably some creme brulee (it's my party!). Will have some creamed herring with onions (Russian NY), some tsimmes (Jewish NY)...hmm...what else.[p]So what is everyone making??? Thank heavens for jeans with stretch![p]mShark

Comments

• mollyshark,[p]We just stay home and have guests over on New Years Day for appetisers and FB. I need that creme brulee recipe.[p]I am cooking a slab of babybacks and crab cakes tommorrow though.[p]J1, I will have a bunch of great items will give the line up later.[p]CWM
  • Pigasso
    Pigasso Posts: 111
    mollyshark,- I posted a Creme Brulee recipe a while ago in response to a posting from someone looking for a special recipe for a 10th Anniversary (I think) dinner. I looked in the archives but can't find it. If you would like I'll locate the recipe at home and post it again. It is made with white chocolate and the original recipe called for Grand Marnier - last time Sue E and I substituted Franjelico - and it was even better! We are Creme Brulee freaks and have come to the conclusion that there is no need to experiment further. WE HAVE FOUND THE GRAIL!

• mollyshark,[p]Appetizer include:
    ABT's
    HAPS Wraps
    smoked almonds (but I think I ruined them by adding too much salt)[p]Main Dish:
    Crab Legs
    Bacon wrapped scallops
    Mussels (my sister makes the best mussel recipe in the world - yum)[p]Not sure what else - but I don't think we need any more food these days!

• mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Pigasso,[p]Can I say YES loud enough? Was gonna do a cinnamon, but this sounds like IT. Please post![p]mShark
  • mollyshark,
    Ribs that we're taking to the neighborhood party.
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • mollyshark,[p]I'm doing my last brisket of the year tonight for eating tomorrow and then starting 2 boston butts before we head off to parties tomorrow night. Pork & saurkraut is kind of a tradition for Jan. 1st at the GrillMeister household.[p]Somehow I have to fit some ABT's in there.[p]Have a Happy New Year![p]Cheers,[p]Ed

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • Jopa
    Jopa Posts: 155
    mollyshark,Florida spiney lobster tales with champange

• Keep in mind - this is a party where several eggers will be attending. I'm not making all this! I'd be asleep by 8:00pm.
  • mollyshark,[p]for me it will be spareribs on NYE and a prime rib roast on NYD
  • DTM
    DTM Posts: 127
    Yo mollyshark,
    For the NYE party at friends an appetizer plate w/
    Beef satays
    Chicken terri wings...sort of food mag prettied up
    Pork adobado and pineapple kabobs
    All finger stuff
    NYD-- brunch and FB at our place
    Menudo
    The pig neck guy should check this out. Good for the hair of the dog. (What the h... is the hair of the dog?)
    Of course all temp monitored w/ my thermapen.
    Dan[p]

[ul][li]Menudo[/ul]
  • DTM, Never, and I say Never, use canned hominy for your munudo or posole... get some dried (kinda like beans) and soak over night or boil 1 or 2 hours and then cut the little dark germ thingy out of the middle and you got a flowered hominy twice as big as the canned that adds twice as much to the dish.

• Eggsellent,
    tell your sister, whatever the mussel recipe is, give them about 10 minutes in a low temp smokey egg as part of the prep. ..you won't be sorry. .. i steam mine in white wine/garlic till they open, then put them in a metal collander high in the dome with some smoke for about 5 - 10 minutes (don't let them dry out), then continue with your normal mussel recipe. .. in mine, i take the wine, strain it, reduce it about a third, then add chopped tomaotes/onion/ .. cook that up and pour it back over the mussels. . .yum. . .. .

• mollyshark,
    wife wants lasagna tomorrow night. . .so bge lasagna it shall be. .. with a salad on the side. . ..easy. ..[p]saturday, me, brett, nature boy and others will be doing minifest in the driveway. .. brisket, squid, escargot, spawn's stuffed shrooms, and a lobster tail stuffed tenderloin plus assorted other stuff. . .we'll have 4 or 5 eggs going all day. . .

• DTM
    DTM Posts: 127
    Chet,
    Your absolutely right but at times you have to use what is available. True nextamal is incredibly laborious. Central Washington state has some areas that are like tranaplanted nothern Mexico. When I go through I stock up on frozen bloomed dried corn, chorizo, Oaxacan-like cheese and anything else that looks good.
    I'm doing some c/s ribs tonight for the menudo-like stuff I make. Tripe is even a reach for me.
    What's up with you for NYE & NYD/
    Dan

• wdan
    wdan Posts: 261
    mollyshark,
    Party at our house for anyone who can make it. So far we have RSVP's from 42 people. Serving Cuban-style pork (Lechon Asado). Offering it straight up as a fork food as well as a cuban-style "midnight" sandwich (Media Noche) on a bun with butter, mojo, pickles, onion and Swiss. For the straight up service, I'm offering mojo, Sweet Baby Ray's sauce, horseraddish sauce and Elder Ward's Piedmont-style sauce.[p]A whole bunch of other hor deuvers, adult libations and WDAN spinnin' the platters.