Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cedar plnaked salmon

jake42
jake42 Posts: 932
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Salmon.jpg
<p />Another test post.

Comments

• Eggvis
    Eggvis Posts: 94
    jake42,[p] Great looking fish! I just got a plank for xmas and am unsure/nervous to use it. Here is what I believe I understand:[p]1) soak plank for a few hrs..
    2) get temp up to 350?
    3)prepare fish and oil the plank on fish side.
    put on main grill and cook until firm.[p]Any tips to make mine look as good as yours would fina special place in my heart![p]Thanks
    Paul

[ul][li][url=http:// ]http:// [/url][/ul]
  • Eggvis,
    i do a fair amount of cedar plank salmon. ..make sure you have the plank completely submerged for a few hours (i fill my sink with water, and then put a pot on top of the plank to hold it under water) . .. i do mine at about 425 degrees dome temp. . .per some instructions that came with my planks, i put them in the egg first, wait about 5 minutes till they start to 'crackle', then put the fish on them (i typically rub the fish with oil first. . .fish comes out great every time. ..[p]good luck[p]max

• Eggvis
    Eggvis Posts: 94
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p] Thanks Max, I can't wait until my next cook! (With family in town and all, that won't happen until Monday at earliest!) I'll post some pics then. Wifey just bought us a new fandangled HP digital camera, so Now I have to learn how to post a pic...[p]Have A great New Year![p]Paul
  • Eggvis,
    couple of other things. .. if you go at 425 degrees, figure about 12 - 14 minutes for salmon filets to be done about right. .. .also, besides olive oil, i do put on our favorite rubs (either dizzy raging river or tsunami spin, or ken stones gilded splinters. . ..all three are great on salmon). .. and, about halfway through the cook i squirt about 1/2 a lemon all over them. . . .

• mad max beyond eggdome,
    Do the planks smoke the fish?

--
    Andrew (BGE owner since 2002)
  • jake42
    jake42 Posts: 932
    Eggvis,
    I just use olive oil and my favorite seasonings. In this case I used a gourmet fish grilling seasoning that I purchased on line. I forgot where though.
    I also cut up red onions for topping as well as just a small amount of balsamic vinegar. I also season the board (after I have soaked it in a mixture of wine and water) with olive oil, salt and pepper and a little fresh rosemary.
    Some people put the fish on the plank and then put it on the grill. I put the seasoned plank on the grill until it starts to smolder and then I put the fish on it. Put the lid on, cook for about twenty five minutes and that's it.
    Works perfect for me every time. Let me know how yours turns out.

• Fairalbion,
    to a degree. .. .i was actually surprised at how subtle the taste is from the planks (which was a good surprise from my standpoint). .. i suppose if you do them at lower temps for longer periods, then the smoke infusion would be stronger. ..but at the higher temps i do them at, i get more than enough smoked flavor for my family's tastes. ..

• jake42,
    i'd never thought about seasoning the plank directly, or using wine to help soak... .both sound like great ideas that i will have to try next time. . .[p]thanks!!

• mad max beyond eggdome, A very good appatizer (my test was 1/2 the recipe):[p]Brie cheese with Roasted Garlic & Peppers;
    from a cookbook called Sticks & Stones by Ted Reader and Kathleen Sloan.[p]1 maple plank, soaked (I used cedar)
    2 small wheels brie (1/4 pound each.)
    2 heads garlic, seperated and peeled
    1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp olive oil
    2 green onions finely chopped
    1 red bell pepper, roasted, peeled, seeded and finely chopped
    2 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
    2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
    2 tsp coarsely ground black pepper.[p]Preheat grill to high.
    With a sharp knife, scrape rind off of the top of each wheel of brie to expose cheese, Set aside.
    Heat 1/2 cup oil in a small saute' pan and add whole cloves if garlic. Reduce heat to medium and simmer garlic in oil until softened and beginning to color, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and, using a slotted spoon, transfer garlic to small bowl to cool. Reserve garlic flavored oil for anothe use. Mash garlic cloves using the back of a fork. (I skip all that non-sense and just toss in a teaspoon or two of store bought minced garlic in a jar). Add green onions, red pepper, thyme, balsamic vinegar, 2 tbsp olive oil and black pepper. Season with salt to taste, Spread garlic and pepper mixture over tops of of brie wheels (I heat the mixture on the stove first). Place soaked plank on grill, close lid and bake for 10 minutes or until it begins to crackle and smoke. Being careful of smoke, opne lid and place cheeses on plank. Close lid and plank-bake for 10 to 12 minutes until cheese begins to melt and bubble. Remove planked cheese from grill. Serve with slices of crusty bread, flat bread, or crudite's, (I kinda like Ritz crackers myself).[p]