Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Brisket Success - Texans Approve

willrev
willrev Posts: 80
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I bought my first "packer" brisket last week from Moss Grocery in Louisburg, NC. It said "USDA" Choice. It had the thick fat cap and was 12 pounds. It was my first one on the egg. I made two Texans at work cry and two other Texans gave a North Carolina boy between A- and A on the brisket. No pics, since I work in a federal prison and can't take in a camera, but we have lots of real Texans here in NC who work with us. One has a huge smoker he brings to work sometimes for cookouts.

I put it in a pan and soaked overnight in the fridge in 2 liters of regular Coke. I patted it dry. Rubbed with a mix of salt, coarse cracked pepper, and red crushed pepper (a Texas friend had some seasoning rub from Blacks BBQ in Lockhart, TX. I added to the Rub a few teaspoons of garlic powder and turbinado sugar. Put it on at 5pm at 230 deg. I smoked it for 7 hours over oak and hickory chunks. I cut up an oak log into chunks and layered the lump with smoke wood in alternate layers. I put the plate setter with legs up and an drip pan to catch drippings. I mopped hourly with a mix of dark Yuengling Porter beer, stick of butter and cajun seasoning. At 165 I wrapped it with two layers of foil and left another four hours in a 200 deg. Egg. THen wrapped in thick pool towels and into the cooler for two to three more hours and it was the most tender piece of meat and juicy too. No dryness at all.

One Texan walked into the front of the prison and asked everyone where the brisket was cause he could smell it. We were upstairs in our Christmas lunch! Needless to say he found us. Another Texan came to tears and said it was just like her dad's. Another gave an A to A minus and joked I could take it a hundred miles into Texas but not to go any further. He ate plenty. All this started when one of them told me an NC boy could never pull off anything but halfway decent pork. They made me mad. I think I did ok.

Comments

• BigA
    BigA Posts: 1,157
    Congrats!! Them texans and there beef :laugh: well they do know what they are talken bout :) Sounds like you made a great brisket! Next time i would walk around and make the inmates cry over it, just a little tease!! :laugh:
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Is that one of those dessert briskets :whistle:
    JUST A JOKE… Being a Texan, sounds good but need pic's....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• take out the sugar (maybe coke) and it looks like you did it right. With BBQ, it is tough living outside of texas.
  • It was one of the Texans who told me to soak it in Coke overnight to help break it down some. Some say soak it in an acidic juice. I did not use much Turbinado sugar, only about two teaspoons for a 12 pounder. I read that on the Dizzy Pig website so I tried it.