Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- Looking for wood source.

Options
Fornia
Fornia Posts: 451
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was curious as to any recommended sources for somewhat unusual smoking woods...such as peach, persimmon, etc. These two specifically are not what I normally see in PA.

I've seen boxes sold on ebay, not my style unless told otherwise (hate waiting for auction/transaction on ebay).

I'm planning to rent a tow behind cooker for NYE this year, with intent on demoing before I purchase a new toy in the Spring/Summer.

Thought maybe we'd try some different sticks in the cooker....it's gonna be a long few days with that thing. :) Egg will be working too!

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    I have bought Cherry and Sugar Maple off of Ebay...it turned out to be a good deal and I will do it again when I run out....
  • Turk
    Turk Posts: 114
    Options
    If you are looking for apple cheap be aware that the orchards are trimmed starting in Feb here in the north. Sometimes the cut smoker size limbs.The owners around here will give it away for the taking. If there is and orchard near you it might be worth checking out.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Try here Jason,, chigger creek has good smoking wood and I use to get it here or through CarwashMike but my dealer carries it now.

http://www.hawgeyesbbq.com/BBQ-Woods.html
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning:

I agree with Pat about using Hawgeyes...good service and reasonable prices even with the shipping costs.

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• CBBQ
    CBBQ Posts: 610
    Options
    Like Turk said I use local orchards for some of my wood. I also get cherry, maple and oak from a firewood supplier. I ask them if they can get something and if they have a source they let me know. There used to be a guy on here that sold guava wood. I don't have any info on him anymore.
  • Cactus Doug
    Options
    Fornia, having built a decent size stick burner at the shop I now have to find logs to fuel the beast. Orchards in your area are a start. One of my main supplies is a firewood guy who also happens to own a tree service. When his loads come in he separates certain woods knowing that he can get a better price for cookin wood than firewood. In the past he has had oak, pecan, cherry, apple, peach, almond and alder. Buying from him is considerably less expensive than a bbq store or online. He usually charges me $10-20 per full wheelbarrow of split hardwood logs. Good luck.