Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I get a Egg for Christmas

Options
Scottborasjr
Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Apparently my Mother in Law is buying me an Egg for Christmas!! So excited as I have cooked on a buddy of mine's a few times. Unfortunately because of the time of year I won't be able to get a spot in the backyard ready for an Egg til spring. Is a Nest functional enough to roll it out of the garage when I need to cook or should I start looking to construct a full table?
I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 

Comments

• HarleyDoug
    Options
    Congrats! Merry Christmas! I use the nest on my patio and it works fine. I think the important thing is to make sure you're level

Good luck and good grilling!

Doug
  • ResQue
    ResQue Posts: 1,045
    Options
    First of all, congrats! Second why don't you have a place in the backyard for it? You don't need a cover for it. It will allow you to cook in any weather. All you need is a stable platform for it in the nest. And yes, a lot of people roll it out from their garage to cook on it.
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    Scottborasjr,
    Cnograts on getting an egg and sounds like your MIL is a wonderful Lady.
    You should be fine with a nest that's all I have for my eggs. I don't have a garage but at my NC home the deck is a real rough mess so I’m just very careful when I roll it around and I NEVER PUSH IT I ALWAYS PULL IT OH SO VERY CAREFULLY.
    Congrats again.
    Jupiter Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Scottborasjr
    Options
    Because my deck is older and I don't want to just leave it on the patio uncovered with my dogs running past it. ;) Know I'm being silly probably but it's just how I feel. Plus to put it down on the patio would mean negotiating icy stairs in order to take food out/ bring food in.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • ResQue
    ResQue Posts: 1,045
    Options
    You don't need to worry about ice :) You will be fine with the garage and like mentioned below, pull, don't push the egg in the nest.
  • HarleyDoug
    Options
    also my patio is a concrete slab so it rolls fine -yes be careful it can tip over easily
    Doug
  • wkygriller
    Options
    Wow. I wish my MIL was as nice. I'm sure I'm getting a sweater (19 years in a row). I have my large in a nest and it works great. As Jim said.....make sure you pull not push. Welcome to the cult. ;)
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Congrats! One word of warning is the nest is not that stable. I have seen 3 posts in the past 4 months or so where someone cracked their egg while moving it. You can do it if you move it correctly- use the hinge and pull it like Jim said. The worst thing to do is pull by the handle (that you use to lift the lid). The problem is if it tips the hinge opens and down goes the egg.

They also make a "nest handler" accessory to make moving more stable. If you are going to be moving in and out I would go for that...or just consider a table. By the time you buy the nest, mates (the shelves on the side) and handler, you could probably build a table for the same cost.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Smokey EggHead
    Options
    Merry Christmas!! The only thing I can say is that, if you're like me, you will not be able to wait until spring to cook on it!! Just be careful pulling it on ice..... :laugh:
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    Yeah, I just know that I'm getting it, not sure what all my Mother-in-law bought as far as accessories. Who knows I might have a table too for all I know. Just know that I'm getting a Egg which has been a goal of mine for a couple of years, just haven't had the funds. :cheer:
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    Oh, weather doesn't stop me from grilling and now it will be less of a bother. I always get funny looks from my neighbors when it's 10 degrees and snowing and I'm out on the grill.
  • fire egger
    fire egger Posts: 1,124
    Options
    Congrats!! going to be a very merry Christmas for you!! I get shirts and free advice from my MIL :whistle:
    Enjoy your egg, and dont forget to post some pics!!
  • Smokey EggHead
    Options
    Wait until they see you out doing an 8 hour cook..... :)
  • Jupiter Jim
    Options
    SmokeyPitt, I'm sorry but I have to disagree with the nest is not that stable statement. I have two eggs in nest and they are very stable, the problem is when moving them if you hit an obstacle ( like a small rock, crack in concrete) that stops a wheel they tend to tip. The handler is a great addition to moving an egg safely.
    Jupiter Jim

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Jupiter Jim
    Options
    Oh with a camera in had as well!!! :laugh:
    JJ

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• wkygriller
    Options
    If you don't already have one it should be one of the first eggsesories....beer fridge and deep freeze. ;)
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

When rolling the egg, make sure you pull it and don't push it. There have been many of a broken egg because those casters get caught on something something as little as uneven cement.

Congratulations and welcome to the forum. Your MIL must really love her daughter. :)

GG
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Look this old post of mine over about assembling a nest and handler for my large egg. Keep coming back and learn how to post pictures cause we love lots of pic's. Tim

Assembling the large nest ENL & Nest Handler NHL-1

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=112&func=view&catid=1&id=823812#823812
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    No need to apologize for disagreeing Jim. We are here to discuss :).

I agree that in general the nest is plenty stable. As you mention you do need to take care when moving the egg as it is top heavy. I have my egg in a nest (no handler) and it is fine, but I rarely move it. If I were planning to move it in and out of the garage, I would go ahead and spring for the handler. If nothing else...it just reminds you of the right way to move it ;).

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Jupiter Jim
    Options
    SmokeyPitt,
    Agreed 100%, :cheer: thanks for posting back as I was worried that I might offend and that I would never want to do.
    My goal is to help others enjoy Egg Life.
    Jupiter Jim :)

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Scottborasjr
    Options
    check, and check :)
  • wkygriller
    Options
    Then you are ready!!!
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    gotta get a tv outside and I am ready for any kind of cookout :)