Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dry Aged Beef

Options
Smokey EggHead
Smokey EggHead Posts: 74
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have not been very good at doing my updates to the Dry Aged Beef post I did back on 12/5. Here is the link to the original post:

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1007680&catid=1

I was shooting for 21 to 28 days and I thought I had prepared my wife for what it will look like but she made me pull it at 15 days (she said since it was my first attempt). Here is the update on the aging process and the first cook.

This is at 7 days of dry aging.....

IMG_0087.jpg

At 10 days......

IMG_0094.jpg

At 12 days......

IMG_0099.jpg

Here it is when I pulled it at 15 days of dry aging. I weighed it and it had lost 15% of it weight which is decent for 15 days. We will make 21 to 28 days on the next drying.

IMG_0103.jpg

Cut into 1 3/4" steaks.

IMG_0104.jpg

Different view of the cut.

IMG_0105.jpg

Here's a closeup.

IMG_0106.jpg

Just before the test cook. Seasoned and waiting to go on the BGE.

IMG_0109.jpg

Going on at 650 degs.....

IMG_0110.jpg

Turned after 2 minutes.

IMG_0111.jpg

Here is half of it plated.

IMG_0113.jpg

And the other half. They had great taste and were extremely tender!! Can't wait until the next drying, it'll be at least 21days.

IMG_0114.jpg

This is what I am doing with the left overs and the trimmings......all marinated....

IMG_0116.jpg

and drying.....into jerky..... :)

IMG_0117.jpg

Comments

• berrygood
    Options
    Interesting. I went the full 30 days, but I trimmed it up pretty good before cooking. Looks like you didn't trim as much, so I was hoping for some feedback on the taste around the edges. TIA.
  • Smokey EggHead
    Options
    It tasted great though out, although we did our trimming after we cooked and plated them. I had read that it was better to leave the dried edges on since you would be trimming a lot of the fat off of it. The dried edges that was not fat went into the marinade and is being turned into jerky.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    I'm in the camp that asks if you trim off all that aged part then why bother? See my post earlier today about my 45 day aged beef. I trim very very little and find that part to be wonderful - My wife OTOH isn't quite the fan, but trims hers off after the cook and I save that and enjoy it as a cold snack the next day.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    don't trim don't trim don't trim don't trim don't trim don't trim don't trim don't trim don't trim don't trim don't trim don't trim

if you trim, you simply have wet aged beef.

dry aging isn't something you do because it sounds cool, it's something you sign on to for the long haul.

trimming dry aged beef is like chilling good red wine. :(
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    Options
    don't trim anything, including fat. it's the best part.
  • Mud Pig
    Mud Pig Posts: 489
    Options
    Wow man, you have one heck of a wife there. Seeing that zombie like piece of meat bascially drying out in my fridge would even freak me out. Cool technique and great looking finished product, but dang that thing looks mean in the fridge at the 15 day mark.
  • stike
    Options
    Dry aged beef is admittedly not for wimps. Hahaha
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,758
    Options
    what cut of beef is that, looks to have two separate muscle groups.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    It looks like a sirloin of some sort to me...not sure top, bottom etc though....I can never tell by the muscle groups but the general shape looks like what they package as a "sirloin roast" in the store.

my thoughts anyway...
  • Smokey EggHead
    Options
    The cut was a Top Sirloin Roast. It really turned out great!! I will definitely will do the process again, although to 21 days next time. BTW, the wife IS great!!