Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pre-made abt's

Options
tigerfan
tigerfan Posts: 20
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
has anyone tried refridgerating abt's a day before cooking? i'm afraid the peppers will brown. what about freezing? and do i really need a pan or just do them indirect on the grate? any help would be greatly appreciated. Alan

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    tigerfan,
    I always prepare mine the night before visiting Arrowhead. Never a problem. Freezing is not an option IMHO.[p]CWM

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    tigerfan,[p]You should have no trouble at all assembling them the night before and refrigerating them..... don't know about freezing them first, tho.[p]I cook them direct on a raised grid around 275-300 turning often until the bacon is evenly brown and crisp.[p]John

• tigerfan
    Options
    WooDoggies,
    no raised grid yet lower my temp on over a platesetter maybe?

• tenntom
    Options
    tigerfan,
    WE fixed 48 abt's Monday nite...Use the formula found on the bge forum.Mrs.TennTom cleaned out the peppers and we stuffed them with shredded meat for chiptole boneless chicken breast cooked on the egg. Wrap all of that with 1/2 piece of pepper bacon, and secure 2 toothpicks...Place in freezer on cookie sheet until frozen..then put in freezer bags..Fired up the lge bge, cooked at 350 for 30 to 45 min..turned twice--don't know if they we good or not, but they r all gone...Good luck

• Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Options
    If you're using a platesetter, I think 300-325° is fine. The bacon needs the higher temp OR grilled directly on the raised grid to get nice and crispy.

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    tigerfan,[p]You could go indirect but I prefer the color and taste you get from cooking direct. So, yes, you could lower the temp by going 250 direct.
    Try building a small established fire, by filling the firebox with lump to just above the holes in the firebox, then spread out the glowing coals so they're nice and even throughout. Put your main grid on the fire ring and cook them direct. If you keep an eye on the abt's and turn often, you will get a nice golden brown and crispy exterior without burning.
    Good luck!
    John

• TennTom, that's pretty impressive, I thought you were a novice...you're just layin back right? being modest and all like StumpB. right?

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    tigerfan,
    Not much to add to the other posts....refrigerator is cool,[p]but freezing is not a good idea!![p]You'll get mushy peppers when they thaw!![p]Enjoy[p]Chubby

I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • tenntom
    Options
    Chet,
    Hey man, we've had our eggnest about 5 yrs..(lge & mini)and we probably cook something at least twice a week. If I don't we go into withdrawal-like..We probably cook more steak than anything...

• tenntom
    Options
    Chet,
    Have you ever had fried mice at tijuana's?-Least that is what we call them cause they r all battered and such..and got them little tails on the end...go good with margaritas..

• Smokin Joe
    Options
    tigerfan,
    From time to time I'll make extra "stuffing" and freeze it in a food saver bag. It makes it easy for me to defrost and fire up a half dozen ABT's for myself if wifey is out of town. I always use fresh peppers, cook direct etc... But the defrosted stuffing has never been a problem with taste or texture. See for yourself. Joe