Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Suggestions on wood for smoking salmon

8MWOG
8MWOG Posts: 13
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was planning on smoking some salmon over the holidays but I have had a hard time finding any alder wood in the Twin Cities. Does anyone have any suggestions on other woods to use? I was thinking maybe maple or if anyone knows where I could buy some alder in the Mpls/St. Paul area that would be even better.

Comments

• You might try Coastal Seafoods, www.coastalseafoods.com over by Minnehaha. They sell Royal Oak lump as well as some smoking woods. They also have the freshest fish in town.

If you can act fast or can wait, I have way more Alder wood at home in Plymouth than I can use in several years. I'm leaving town tomorrow morning, and won't be back until the 24th. You are welcome to a bucketful today, the 24th, or the 26th or after.

FossilPeddler
  • skihorn
    skihorn Posts: 600
    I have never used anything but alder, but maple would probably be a good substitute as it is very mild. I wouldn't go anything stronger than cherry.

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • Go to the home depot and buy an 8' section of untreated cedar--cut it up for planks. Much cheaper than pre-packaged ones..
    salmontonite002.jpg

but I guess you're probably leaning more toward a smoked salmon....
  • 8MWOG
    That is a very generous offer. Someone told me to try the hardware store in downtown Hopkins which is close to my office. If they don't have any I am going to take you up on your offer.
  • 8MWOG
    That is a very generous offer. Someone told me to try the hardware store in downtown Hopkins which is close to my office. If they don't have any I am going to take you up on your offer.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Do you have a Cabela's? They carry alder chips.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Apple and Alder have made me some good fish. You can usually find some somewhere - hardware store or maybe a butcher.

I've bought some from these guys - nice selection:

Charcoal Store Wood Chunks
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    You might try these guys... only open til 5 though and no weekends.

Northwest Charcoal and Chemical Company
    2900 17th Ave So, Minneapolis

Don't know anything about them. Just found it on a search for wood chips minneapolis....

Northwest Charcoal and Chemical is a great local resource for hardwoods for grilling and smoking. They are a supplier to many local restaurants that burn wood.They sell both chunks of wood and chips- Mesquite, Hickory, Apple, Maple, Alder, Walnut, Olive, Pecan, Peach, et al. The chips can be added to a regular charcoal fire- much like you would add a spice to food- for a accent. The chunks can be used alone for grilling and smoking- and the timber should be carefully paired with the meats- The experts at Northwest Charcoal can advise you on this. For instance Apple pairs nicely with pork, whereas, the light sweet Alder wood is a good choice for fish.
    The nicely packaged wood chips and chunks bought in stores are very expensive in comparison- by my accounts almost triple what you would pay at Northwest. On a recent visit I paid $19. for a 14 # box of Apple Wood. It’s located in a cinder block warehouse- in a neighborhood that hasn’t been gentrified- so my suggestion would be “aware” of the surroundings when visiting and maybe bring a buddy.
    Call them before you go- as they are frequently away from the phone- or on a delivery If you leave a message and they will promptly return your call and you can arrange a time to visit. They are open Monday - Friday 9-5. If you haven’t tried grilling over hardwood- pay them a visit and give it a go- the results are very rewarding.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• 8MWOG
    Thanks, I will definately try these guys. They look like they may have a large selection.
  • I live in Minneapolis and purchase my smoking woods at The Kitchen Window. (Hennipen at Lake St) Minneapolis.
    They carry Maine Grilling Woods http://www.mainegrillingwoods.com/
    Another source is in Shakopee at the Charcoal store. http://www.charcoalstore.com/policy.shtml they are brick and mortar as well as the web.
    WLL
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    DSC01411a.jpg

If you can't find alder, go with apple. I usually finish off my trout/steelhead/salmon with cherry for the color it gives.

DSC01324a.jpg

DSC00304a.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery