Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Picked up a CI grate today

EggcitedinNJ
EggcitedinNJ Posts: 91
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The toys keep rolling in! To compliment the Ceramic Grill Store Christmas adjustable rig package that I purchased last week I bought a cast iron grate for searing down low. I have some rib eyes waiting to be T Rexed tonight.

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    why not just hot tub those steaks and then do a sear and be done with it?!!! I just find it more hassle to sear at high heat, take that cast iron out and set it aside while attempting to get the egg cooled down in order to return the stock grill back in and then roast. If nothing else the reverse sear gives great results.
    IMG_1663.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Yeah, but Ron - your steaks are RAW!!!! :laugh:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    That's what that moooooo sound was - thanks!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    'Jungle-Rare' is absotutley wonnerful!!
  • bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
    Maybe a bit too done for my tastes, bit they look great.
  • Since I'm searing close to the lump I don't bring the dome temperature past 400 so it's not a big hassle or waste of fuel to subsequently bring the internal steak temperature to rare/medium rare. That said, I'm still new enough at Egging that I have much to learn and will try what you suggested on my next attempt.

Last night's steaks tasted delicious, were internally cooked just as we like them, and the CI grate gave some wonderful grill marks. I need to tweak my searing technique, however, since the lump was low and the grate in the spider rests higher than the grate I used in my former temporary set up so onsequently the sear wasn't as effective.

Before I bought my BGE I was concerned about the learning curve that I was going to have to move along, but now that I have a few months experience I embrace it. I know enough that no matter what I can get an edible meal on the table and now it's a matter of honing my skills. That was the situation last night. I'll learn from the experience with the new equipment and do better next time.