Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My First BGE

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After wanting a Big Green Egg for about 10 years, I finally got one. My family bought me a Large BGE for Christmas. It was delivered with the wood table yesterday and I am very anxious to make my first meal.[p]I would like to get some recommendations from the Eggsperts on a great "first" meal with my BGE. Something that will really get me started off on the right foot.

Comments

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Brad,[p]Pork Loins or tenderloins are always pretty easy and taste great. You can do quite a bit with them flavor wise and they take a bit higher temperature, about 325, to cook, direct, and thats pretty easy to do your first time out. Loins will take about 90 minutes, tenderloins will take about 30-40 at those temps.[p]You can also do chicken, thighs, breasts, halves. Its pretty forgiving also. Same temps, direct, turn them as necessary to keep from burning.[p]Burgers are great but you may get some flareups and thats not really something that you want to deal with on your first cook.[p]Hope this helps, let us know what you do and how it turns out.[p]Troy
  • FrankG
    FrankG Posts: 32
    Brad,I agree with Sprinter but really suggest you start with the pork tenderloins

• Brad,
    Welcome to the club! This is a great forum - you'll learn so much from the nice folks here. [p]I'm sure you will get lots of recommendations on your first cook. I would recommend a Spatchcock Chicken (you'll find recipes, methods at links below), or maybe a nice pork tenderloin?[p]You want to get the feel of starting a fire, playing around with the temp, etc. before you attempt any low and slow cooks or high temp cooks probably.[p]Here's one tip I wish I would have known when I started cooking on the egg.
    If you want to hit 350 degrees do the following once your coal is lit...Open the bottom vent wide open. On the duel function metal top - close the slider all the way, but open the daisy wheel portion wide open. 9 times out of 10 you'll stabilize at around 350. You can adjust the temp from there by opening and closing vents - but it's a good starting point.[p]There are several good sites to reference for recipes, methods, etc. Here are a few...
    The Naked Whiz - http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm
    WessB - http://www.wessb.com/Cooks/cooks.htm[p]And when you're ready for the best steak of your life - make sure you check out the t-rex method found at:
    http://houseoffaulkner.com/BGE.html[p]Oh yeah - you might as well go buy some bigger pants now cuz you're in for some good eatin![p]Molly

• James
    James Posts: 232
    Brad,[p]Welcome.[p]Yes, the Pork would be a good start.[p]Another good start would be spatchcock chicken.[p]
  • eggsellent,
    i don't ever, EVER!, want to see you wearing mark backer's pants... .you understand me girlfriend!!!!???!!!!!

• Wow![p]This is a great forum! Fast responses, friendly people, and great ideas. I'm really going to love it here.[p]Thanks for the ideas. I'll check out the websites and wait to hear what others say. I am a big fan of Pork Tenderloin, so that is definately my front-runner right now.[p]Thanks for the all of the advice and I look forward to more in the future.[p]Brad

• mad max beyond eggdome,
    How bout I just get a moo moo(sp) like Homer did in The Simpsons? Much easier, and I could call it a dress.

• Trouble
    Trouble Posts: 276
    Brad,
    Welcome. I have to concur on the bigger pants (I ate quite well over the holidays, thank you) and the pork.[p]Chicken, too. There is a loyal following here for spatchcock chicken, but you may want to focus on the fire the first few cooks and a bit less on food prep. [p]The BGE does everything so beautifully, but you've never had such moist pork and chicken...it's really unbelievable.[p]Easy chicken...
    Stabilize the fire between 350 and 400 dome.
    Rub some olive oil and herbs (or chicken rub of your choice) all over a chicken.
    Throw some lemons or onions and celery in the cavity.
    Cook it until juices run clear. I cooked one last night and it took about an hour (it was pretty small).[p]My husband asks for whole chicken on the egg about once per week. 'Course he does the same for pork and steak.[p]Best of luck to you...and welcome.[p]Oh, you may want to check the archives where new users have posted questions asking about folks' favorite accessories and which ones to acquire first. Those threads were pretty helpful to me.[p]Joyce

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Eggsellent,
    Do what you feel is best. Around here it's Egg appeal over sex appeal.[p]lol

• Bobby-Q,
    LOL
    I may be the exception, as a single guy, Heeheee, and a very skinny one at that, sex (appeal) always comes first. Now with that being said, if a great egg meal puts her in the mood, SOoooooooooo be it. [p]Regards,
    Bordello

• Bobby-Q,
    yea man, but that molly is cute little thang. .. i would hate to see her lookin like that big old husband of hers. .. it would take a lot more than a moo-moo to cover him. . .probably more like a moo-moo-moo-ohwhattheheck-a-herd o' moo-moos. . .heeeee. ..remember mama cass and her moo-moos? . .somethin like that. .. nope,don't ever want to see that happen to little molly :)

• Brad,[p]Welcome and look forward to you sharing your eggsperiences.
    Go for the gusto man. Get a couple filets and get going.[p]I like to set my filet in garlic flavored olive oil 1 hour prior to cooking.[p]filet1.jpg[p]steak1.jpg[p]CWM

• Bobby-Q
    Bordello Bob,
    I'm single too, but I thought it best to not scare her/them off with all those obviously hormoned out comments like Max makes...oh sorry Max didn't see you there....heeee...um er...how's Spawn...heeeee, um er.

• Bobby-Q
    Brad,
    I think a nice Devil's Food cake would be a good starting point.[p]:)[p]Sorry I'm just in one of those moods.

• Bobby-Q,
    Yes I understand. That is why I am also KNOWN AS..........[p]"Bashful Bob" LOL [p]No sense of humor here.[p]Cheers,
    Bordello
    aka New Bob
    aka Bashful Bob

• Brad,
    Like others, I would go with either your first love (tenderloins) or with a chicken. You can spatchcock it (butterfly it) or put it upright on the upright cooker piece or on a beer can. Either way you can't go wrong. [p]Once you stabilize the temp, throw the food on and see how she goes. :)[p]I, too, got my first BGE for Christmas. I bought it for myself a few days before the Big Day and I've had 3 wonderful cooks on it so far. :)

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Brad,[p]Congratulations for finally getting your egg and welcome to the forum![p]I would suggest steaks and since rib eyes are my favorite, I'd suggest doing those.
    Coarse grind some black pepper and press it into the meat along with some coarse salt. Sear hot and serve pink in the middle. Done.[p]But first, before you put any food in the egg, crack a beer, pour some on the egg and then pour some on your head while doing the funky chicken howling at the top of your lungs at the moon........... your only a virgin once, you know.[p]Cheers,
    John

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    The funky chicken howl! Welcome back, ma mang!
    LOL
    Give my best to the missuz
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Yo Budday! I will surely do that...... and my best to your lovely girls.... all three of them. :~)[p]I have freshly cracked a PBR and it's pointed in your direction...... Cheers my fren.[p]Juan

• ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Brad,
    Two Words, Spatchcocked Chichen!,
    I don't really like chicken on a grill normally, but I tried this and I must say it is absolutely, butt simple and works great!;)
    I was totally surprised at the taste of the bird. It IS good. So for a quick (one hour) first meal check out the NW site for the method and I will bet that you will be happy with the results.
    later,
    ChefRD

• Bobby-Q,
    what, me? hormoned?. . .i'm too old for that . . .i just live vicariously throught he exploits of others. . .oh where oh where is joel ferman, or mac from nc's wife when i need them.. ..heeeeee