Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help needed with baby back ribs please!

Pigasso
Pigasso Posts: 111
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Tomorrow I plan to cook 6 racks of baby back ribs on the large. The catch is I will have to leave work to start fire, add the ribs and then scurry back to work again. These ribs will receive no attention until I return at around 3PM. The guests arrive at 4.30 and want to eat at 5PM![p]So, I'm thinking about using an inverted plate setter, large drip pan fashioned out of heavy duty aluminium foil, a rib rack placed on the grid over the drip pan and heat at 250 dome temp with the ribs going on at high noon![p]Does that sound like a workable plan?[p]Ribs will have membrane removed, rubbed with mustard, generously sprinkled with Dizzy Pig, wrapped in saran wrap, refrigerated overnight, removed from fridge at 10AM ish to come up to room temp and then placed on the grill. Whaddyathink?[p]Oinks and thanks

Comments

• Pigasso,
    What do I think?? I think you dont need any help !!! Sounds like you got a plan. I see no reason why it wouldn't work. Good luck with the cook.
    CP

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Pigasso,[p]That sounds like a "double oink"...to me!![p]I would think if you get your temp steady..and make sure the wind can't get to it (egg)...she should be puuuurrin' away when you get home!![p]Good Luck...call me when the "Bones" are on!![p]Chubby[p]
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Pigasso
    Chubby, my trough is your trough - just so long as you don't plan to be "doin' any of the devil's work!" - great church picture by the way - I thought Sue E was going to meet her maker when she saw that one!

• babybacks03.jpg
    <p />Pigasso,[p]Tell them they are eating at 5:30. You are already stressed out and need a cocktail. Take them out show them the ribs and just say "5 more minutes". If your saucing you need a little extra time.[p]CWM
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Pigasso,
    Your timing should work fine...may end up being 5:30 but you`ll be real close with your plan...Good Luck[p]Wess

• Pigasso
    Car Wash Mike, - Cocktails are on the way! Nice picture - could have been taken in Houston over Christmas![p]thanks,

• Pigasso,
    hey, how were the flank steak rolls??

• Pigasso,
    I would consider putting them on at 10AMish since you will home to take them out of the refrigerator at that time. You can then check on the fibs when you come home at 3PM. In case they need more time to cook you will not be cutting it so close. If they get done early then just wrap in foil and towels and let rest in a cooler. [p]I would rather err on the side of giving myself extra time. It seems like whenever I try to make tight deadlines with the BGE I always wish that I had more time. Good luck, Mark

• Yazoo
    Yazoo Posts: 145
    Pigasso,[p]I've done 3 slabs using the same setup, but it was a 5-hour-no-peek cook. I suggest you start them a little earlier too, if you want to eat at 5pm. Obviously, if you have a guru, use it. Might help you relax a little back at work.
  • Pigasso
    mad max beyond eggdome, the flavor of the flank steak roll was remarkable! Sue E and I especially enjoyed the mouthfeel (HA!)existing between the proscuitto and the peppers nicely balanced with the sweetness of the balsamic that finished it off! sadly the texture of the flank steak did not measure up to the flavor - but I feel that is an indication of the flank steak that I purchased - not of the quality of the recipe or the cooking technique. I was only able to find it prepackaged. Next time I'll go for a fresh piece and try an overnight marinade. Given that the presentation is so stunning, Sue E and I will gently warm up another slice this evening and see what transpires. Thnks for all your help!

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Pigasso,
    I'm with the longer guys. I'd have them on by 10 if you are goin 250 dome with a platesetter. Even 9:30. With that kind of load on the cooker, your cooking level will be a bit low at first anyways, and it'll take 'em a bit to git goin. You are not planning on foiling them, right? If not, I think 5-6 hours before they are ready. They do well wrapped in foil in a cooler just in case they are done early....and it beats waiting.[p]Maybe you could start your fire before work with a full load of lump, stabilize it, and close the vents to a slit to maintain 225-250....then when you come back from work you will have the cooker ready. Stabilize again at 250 and back to work. If it is at 275 when you put the ribs on, no biggy.[p]Just thinkin. Have fun!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Pigasso,
    The solution to this conumdrum is a simple one....Call in sick, take all day to drink and cook ribs....You'll prolly have time to whip up som ABT's Too....Problem solved, glad I could help....[p]The Madhatter!

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Pigasso,[p]Sue...E...that's a classic!! [p]That's a ballsy Woman that will go that far for her man!![p]No devil's work here...I'm in a "Propane Free Zone"!![p]Chubby
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • James
    James Posts: 232
    Pigasso,[p]I think your timing is right on. Either way.. The GUESTS WANT TO EAT AT 5:00PM??? What?[p]They will eat when you are ready for them to eat. If they have a problem with that, give them directions to McDonalds.[p]You are cooking. You decide when they eat and IF they eat..[p]bwahahahaha.. [p]It's your cook. You are king.[p]
  • Pigasso
    James, ordinarily I would agree with you - but two of the guests have to be at the airport that evening - hence my totally out of character desire to accomodate! Given all the input I have received, I think I'll be spot on![p]Oinks, - King Pig.

• Yazoo
    Yazoo Posts: 145
    Pigasso,[p]Take Nature Boy's advice and light your egg before leaving for work. If Sue E or anyone else will be home, have them take the ribs out of the fridge an 30-60 min before you get home, take an early lunch and put the ribs on between 10-11. Ribs should be done between 3-4, hold in foil. Of course, add a little time each time you look at them. Takes will power not to look. Don't forget to add a little time if you're going to sauce them.
  • Pigasso,
    glad you enjoyed the flavor. . .and yep, flank steak is a tough hunk of beef. . .you have to make sure you are rolling in a way that when you cut the pinwheels, you are cutting against the grain (you may have done this and still found it a little 'stringy'. . .even with the best cut of flank steak, it will still have a little 'chew' to it. . .

• James
    James Posts: 232
    Pigasso,[p]
    Ah, I see. Yes, that does change things a bit. I figured there was a good reason, I was just kidding around.[p]I'm sure you will nail it.[p]

• Pigasso
    James, JUST KIDDING AROUIND? Hell, I'd have my guests dress in pink tutus reciting nursery rhymes before I let them dictate when the food is done![p]Oinks and thanks