Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first pie dough thanks Mr. Lip

2Fategghead
2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last fall I decided I wanted to get involved in making pizza dough from scratch and last Sunday Cindy and I did that. So tonight we baked three pies.

I recently purchased an infrared thermometer from ThermoWorks so I can monitor my cooks.

Most recently my Santa PattyO sent me 00 Caputo. I will make her dough soon but first I wanted to gain some experience using bread dough.

Sunday we made a batch of pizza dough using bread flour and Zippylip's past pizza dough post. Soon I will try the 00 Caputo flour.

Thank you, WessB and PattyO and Zippylip for encouragement and mentoring.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=987401&catid=1

I setup my egg using the plate setter feet down and the green feet and baking stone 700F degrees for forty minutes.

000_2387.jpg

We made the pies with pizza sauce and peperoni and whole milk mozzarella cheese and fresh mushrooms.

This was my baking stone temp after 40 minutes and I waited to put the next pie in until the stone got back to that temp and that worked great because 6 minutes and they were done first time every time.

000_2367.jpg

This was our first time making pies from scratch so we made them and baked them on parchment paper.

This pie was manhandled after this pic so the finished product don't look the same. :blush:

000_2365.jpg

000_2372.jpg

Nice crust every time.

000_2375.jpg

000_2376.jpg

Second pie getting easier and better.

000_2377.jpg

000_2378.jpg

000_2379.jpg

000_2380.jpg

The last pie was the best.

000_2390.jpg

000_2391.jpg

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    They ALL look GREAT Tim.Do you think the crust is REALLY worth all the xtra effort?Just wonderin.Pizza has been my Nemisis(downfall)! :(
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    You're well on your way...hotter than I cook..but that don't mean anything..
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Tim, You are one step ahead of me on the za cooks.
    I do so many at work, I guess I am disintrested. I do like cooking calzones though. They seem to wow the folks.
    Yours are looking good.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    Tim
    You have arrived. You popped your pizza cherry.
    How soon after your first pull do you put the next pie on the stone?
  • 2Fategghead
    It's a lot of work at first but, like everything else I believe Cindy and I will get a system. So next time it should get easier. I will admit I got a little stressed when the first pie we made would not slide off the peel but, we quickly regrouped and made it work. So far we flattened out the dough on a dusted with corn meal parchment paper. Then we made the pie then we cut the paper out from around the pie. Then when the pie was cooked it slid off the paper and the peel on to the pizza pan.

So, to answer your question yes I think it's worth it because we actual like the misshaped pies and we did like what we made. :P
  • 2Fategghead
    Thanks Wess, You know I was looking for a post I could copy and the Lipster made it a while back and I followed it pretty much to a T. Now I feel I can copy it again with ease until I feel I can ask more questions and fudge to cook and learn. ;)
  • PattyO
    Use some cornmeal on the pizza peel. Don't wait very long to put it on the egg. Assemble it and cook it right away and it won't stick. Use cornmeal on the baking stone too. You won't need the parchment. And, if you really want to use parchment, pull it out mid cook. The bonus of the stone is that is pulls moisture from the dough to give it that crust. It won't happen using parchment. I like the rustic shapes too. Beautiful pictures.
  • 2Fategghead
    Thanks Molly, I tore down that wall I built (Meaning I was stand offish about making pizzas)and I feel good tonight because the cooks went very well. :)
  • 2Fategghead
    Hey Patty, I used my fancy infrared thermometer to see what my baking stone temp was after my egg stabilized and found my stone was 716F degrees before my first pie went in so for every pie after that I checked first and waited until the stone got back to that temp. Short answer probably 5 to 10 min's but, doing the cook the same way is what got my pies coming out after cooking for 6 min's all three times. ;)
  • Beautiful job, Tim! Like a lot of other things, once you dive in and do it, you wonder why you didn't do it sooner. You are in the groove.

I'm letting my pizza cook as we speak. No pix this time. But I used a tip I recently read somewhere...use SEMOLINA on the peel. I usually use a pizza screen, but tonight I actually used a peel, as I had fine semolina in the freezer. It worked like ball bearings--the crust never stuck for a second and the pizza rolled right off onto the stone. And there's still semolina left on the peel for the second pizza coming up soon.

I RECOMMEND SEMOLINA.

Judy in San Diego
    Judy in San Diego
  • 2Fategghead
    Thanks Patty, I'll try that next time. I need a larger peel ( metal peel is to small my pies don't fit on it) so I'm off to the kitchen store for a larger wooden peel. ;)
  • 2Fategghead
    Thanks Judy, I will go get some SEMOLINA and give it a try. ;)
  • PattyO
    Semolina does the same thing as corn meal. Makes ballbearings under the dough.
  • Beautiful job, Tim! Like a lot of other things, once you dive in and do it, you wonder why you didn't do it sooner. You are in the groove.

I'm letting my pizza cook as we speak. No pix this time. But I used a tip I recently read somewhere...use SEMOLINA on the peel. I usually use a pizza screen, but tonight I actually used a peel, as I had fine semolina in the freezer. It worked like ball bearings--the crust never stuck for a second and the pizza rolled right off onto the stone. And there's still semolina left on the peel for the second pizza coming up soon.

I RECOMMEND SEMOLINA.

Judy in San Diego
    Judy in San Diego
  • Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Looks good Tim.
    I know what I am cookin on the weekend :laugh:

Shane
  • 2Fategghead
    Thanks Shane. The cook went very well for me and the pies were better than better than we could go out and buy cause we made them. ;)
  • uglydog
    uglydog Posts: 256
    Tim, it's 7:30 AM here, I don't care for shrooms, and your pizza still has me hungering for some. Great job you did there, and your success will only spur you on to more pizza endeavors. I haven't succeeded in making round pizzas yet, but some of those triangle pies are the best I've ever eaten. I'm still in the parchment paper part of the learning curve; pull the parchment from the Egg after about 1 minute. For my next pizza cook I'll try cornmeal. Let me know if you need any help eating that pizza. Uglydog
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Great job. Those look amazing. I like the misshapen crusts as well. Kind of an artesan look to it. Good stuff.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    Those look pretty good Tim. I don't know how to make them round either.I've done a few. Still need lots of practice. :laugh: We are going to have some of the gradkids over soon and let them "build" their own. Should be an eggperiance. :woohoo:
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • It looks great, Tim. A nice effort, and it looks like it was well worth it.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • 2Fategghead
    Thanks uglydog, This morning I feel like making another batch of dough and doing it all over again. :P I could eat pizza for breakfast. :woohoo:
  • 2Fategghead
    Thanks Griffin they were great. :P
  • 2Fategghead
    Thanks Dave, Food always tastes better home made. ;)
  • 2Fategghead
    Thanks Faith. Cindy and I got a system she made them and I cooked them. Together we did great! ;)
  • Those pizzas are looking great Tim! :) Do you deliver?
  • 2Fategghead
    Thanks Rebecca, I'll be right there. :woohoo: :)