Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump / medium question

redneck6497
redneck6497 Posts: 180
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How long should I be able to get without replacing lump on my Med cooking at 250 with a full firebox?

Comments

•  
    Hi red

The lump you use will be a factor. My medium filled to the top of the fire ring with Royal Oak, set up indirect with a small amount of smoke wood will probably burn for 20 hours or more. My longest cooks have been Boston butts low & slow and I have never had to add more lump.

Blair

• Pjoe
    Pjoe Posts: 224
    Same here.
    LBGE AR SMALL BGE WOO RING
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I've averaged a little less, around 18 hrs. Which is why I always fill up into the fire ring.
  • I setup my Med. for the brisket I cooked over the weekend, and for about 45min to 1hr. it was at around 300. Not sure why it was burning so hot initially. I did what I do with my large, and had different results. The only thing I can think of it that I let the fire get too hot and burn too long before closing the top and adjusting the dampers. Most of the top of the charcoal was lit when I put the lid down (too much shootin the bull and not enough paying attention). It took a while to "suffocate" it back down to 250 deg. I put in BGE charcoal and about 5 good hickory chunks (which might have added to the temp?), and got around 5hrs. I filled the fire box up maybe 80 or so percent (I think).

Also, is there any relationship between amount of lump and temperature?
  • anybody??? (please see my last post)