Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking techniques

Options
MA egger
MA egger Posts: 51
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A few weeks ago, someone (sorry, I forget who is was) posted that they put wood chunks in through the bottom vent so that they sit underneath the grate and they happily smoke away from there. This allows the chef to switch out types of wood while the coals are burning.

Has anyone else tried this method, and if so, was it successful? I'm going to be smoking some trout and then a pulled pork this weekend, and figured I'd give it a go.

Thanks

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    I've never heard of doing that.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    On a low and slow I don't see how there will be enough heat under the grate to cause wood to smolder.

On a high heat cook perhaps, but with a mid to full size load of lump and a 250* environment I don't see how the wood would even begin to smoke.
  • Hic
    Hic Posts: 350
    Options
    I've never tried it, but I talk to someone @ Eggtoberfest that did that also. I'm not sure if you have to soak them or not. It would be interesting to hear from someone who does it that way.

Large, medium, small and a mini. Egg'n, golfing, beer drinking, camping and following football and baseball.
    Atlanta NOTP suburbia.

• texas_archer
    Options
    tag for more information
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

The only real way to tell is to give it a try.

Some things to think about. If you are a person who fills up the lump before each cook that burning is a long ways away from the bottom of the egg and protected by a cast iron fire grate.

Ambient temperature air, winter time could be below zero and summer time could be above 100 degrees, enters the lower vent into the fire box past the wood chips and up to the burning lump.

No matter how hot the burn it will take time for the bottom of the egg to get hot and start the chips/chunks to smolder. By that time it is possible the food is a good ways to being cooked.

Give it a try and let us know how it works out.

GG
  • PhilOsh
    Options
    I do that regularly, but not for low and slow. For L and S I mix the chunks in with the charcoal, but for cooks that use the BGE as an oven, it's very easy to add smoke, change smoke, or take away smoke, through the bottom vent under the coals. Works for roasts, stews, spatchcocks, sausage .... And, I don't light from the top of the coals, I have an electric starter that I push to the bottom of the charcoal, add new coals on top of that, and just barely light the coals toward the bottom. Try it.
    Phil