Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

camping with small BGE

CampCook
CampCook Posts: 157
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
There have been several posts about which BGE is best for camping. This past year we spent over six months on the road using a small and a camp table I designed and built.
It can be seen at the link.[p]This setup worked very well for us. However, ever the tinkerer, I am always looking for ways to improve. Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated
Dave

[ul][li]http://www.brickner.com/db/activities/vittles/bge/campegg.html[/ul]

Comments

• CampCook,
    Neat! I've added a link to your page on my links page. The garbage can idea was brilliant!
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Howdy Dave!
    Wow, I really loved reading that. Looks like a great setup, and like you had a blast doing it. [p]So, Michigan and Kentucky....where else did you go?
    Nice job on the story!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • CampCook,[p]I like the trash can idea for protecting the small on the hitch hauler. I have always put my egg in my wooden eggtransporter inside my Tahoe for protection from the elements as well to keep the egg from growing legs and walking off.[p]I'd like a table like what you have, but I'm not that handy with metal.[p]Nothing beats 5 hour ribs in the afternoon while camping in the 5'er eh?[p]You'll need to hitch that thing up and bring it and your small out to the Texas Eggfest in Austin on Lake Travis, May 20-22 next year. They have nice hookups right on the water and it's a well run place. I keep my 5'er there year round.[p]Visit www.texas-eggfest.com to sign up for more info.[p]Cheers,[p]GrillMeister
    Austin, TX

[ul][li]Camper Resort on Lake Travis next to the Texas Eggfest[/ul]

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • CampCook
    The Naked Whiz,
    Thank you. Actually the garbage can idea came from this forum. Another Dave as I recall.

• CampCook
    Nature Boy,
    We also went to New Mexico, Indiana and Wisconsin and of course through the states between there and Arizona. Actually, there is a complete travelog at the following link. Warning. There are a lot of pictures. The site is definitely wide band friendly
    Dave

[ul][li]http://www.brickner.com/db/activities/travel/travelogue04.html[/ul]
  • CampCook
    GrillMeister,
    I'm going to modify the trashcan before the next big trip.. Not sure just how yet but I would like to carry the inside parts seperate from the body of the BGE. I may keep them together and use slices of foam sealed in food saver bags to cushion the pieces incase of rough road.[p]As for the table, I think the same idea could be realized in wood if it were designed with a good attention paid to weight saving.[p]Now, I have to convince my bride to swing south through Texas next spring. Hope you guys have beer down theere.
    Dave

• DTM
    DTM Posts: 127
    CampCook,
    Wow. That is impressive. Any sketch on the metal table? Give us a shout if you make it to western Montana.
    Dan

• CampCook,[p]We'd love to have ya swing by.[p]Hmmm.... Beer in Austin, TX. I'll have to check around.. LOL

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • CampCook
    DTM,
    I have some ideas in a sketch book and a couple dozen photos from construction. None of it makes much sense without some notes and dimensions. I will see about putting up another page showing how it was built. Might take awhile though.

I love western Montana. We went that route a few years back. My kids were in Law school at the Uof Idaho so we got up that way. Very spectacular. You are lucky to live in such a place
    Dave

• DTM
    DTM Posts: 127
    Hey Dave,
    My son graduated from U of I last year and my daughter is a freshman at WSU. We are about 3-4 hours NW, near Thompson Falls, MT. Like the table and the camping lifestyle is very similar.
    Thanks
    Dan

• CampCook,[p]Very nice!!![p]Dave

• CampCook
    Old Dave,
    Thanks Dave. BTW, were you the one who suggested the garbage can idea? I seem to recall that.

• CampCook,[p]I do carry my cookers in garbage cans for both vacations and competitive cooking and I might be the fellow that told you but I am not sure. I also use a cargo carrier just like the one you have pictured for contest cooking on the back of my SUV for the garbage cans. [p]Dave

• CampCook,
    I am jealous.[p]That seems like quite the summer vacation. I hope to be able to do the same thing some day. I only have about 25 - 30 more years until retirement![p]Brews
    Matt.