Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Rib Selection.......

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just visited both BJs and SAMs. Not sure what to look for in a Prime Rib Roast.[p]1. Do I want a big fat cap (BJs) or cut close to the meat (SAMs)[p]2. Why are some tied and others aren't? It appeared (but I'm not sure) the stringed version had a cut separating the bone and meat? If that's not it what's it's purpose[p]3. Unlike a lot of what I read here I have a small party of 6, of which 3 will eat very little. I basically will need a small 3 pounder which I can't find anywhere. I was thinking of getting an 6-8 pounder and cutting it in half. Freezing one and cooking the other. But is a 3-4 pounder too small to cook, will it get too dry? Do I neeed to cook it at a lower temp. to maintain a level doneness throughout?[p]Howard

Comments

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Howard,[p]1. I usually get the butcher to trim the fat cap close (1/4" or so).[p]2. I'd love to know the answer to this question. All the ones I've ever bought were NOT tied, but recently in other stores I've seen the tied ones. I don't know why some are tied and others aren't.[p]3. What you need is a two-bone-in roast which will typically weigh about 4.5 lbs and should feed your group if you say 3 will eat very little. [p]See the link below for how I cook these roasts.[p]Good luck,[p]TRex
    [ul][li]Prime Rib[/ul]
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    Howard,
    i dont cook a lot of big prime rib roasts, but have done a lot of 2 bone roasts. trex sear, rest 20-30min, roast on a raised grill at 325 until internal hits 125.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Howard,[p]Just my opinion but I would go for the one with less fat.
    At $$$$ / pound, why pay for all that fat. It's not going
    to render out like a butt and you'll probably end up
    tossing it anyway. [p]Roasts are tied when the rack of bones is cut away from the meat. After roasting, cut the string and separate the meat
    and bones for easier slicing. Some folks put seasoning
    between the bones and meat then retie and roast.[p]Cooking it at a lower temp would seem to help keep the
    doneness more equal throught. Higher temps may produce
    results more like a steak - well done on the outside and
    rare in the center. [p]Don't over it cook and you should be OK.[p]K_sqrd

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Howard, I agree with the others on the 250° ± rack temp as this cut reaches the ideal tenderness and even cooking when it is slowly brought up to temperature. Keep in mind that the smaller cuts don’t cook as evenly as the large ones, so if you buy a 4 bone roast, enjoy the leftovers.

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery