Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

needing a small fancy-*ss dessert

RRP
RRP Posts: 25,880
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK Eggers...we are headed to a neighborhood Christmas thingee that is after dinner and we are to take a small dessert to share with the wine provided by the hosts. Any Egg ideas? - or NON egg ideas would be appreciated!
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    This can also be made in a rectangular pan and cut into small squares. Great with a sweet wine.

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1998/02/key-lime-pie.html
  • hi rrp i dont post much but try this it rocks i call it a bannoffy pie 1 pie crust premade is ok and easy bake and let cool next and belive ms this woks boil 1 can of sweetened condensed milk in the can do not open boil for 3 hours keep adding water if needed next let cool this makes toffy filling slice 1 or 2 banans and put 1 layer in pie shell pour in filling then 1 more layer of banans top with 1 wole container of cool whip i add nuts on top refridge 1 or 2 hrs sorry about my typing skills thats why i dont post much
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    small? fancy ass?

gold leaf on some fudge.

gold leaf (real) is fairly cheap. and you'll look like the free spending guy everyone thinks you are.

while being more like the savvy banker
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    If you can find fresh or frozen cherries, Cherries Jubilee is grand.
    Cherries Jubilee

4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
    1 pound Bing cherries, pitted
    1/4 cup sugar
    1/4 cup kirsch
    Vanilla ice cream, for serving
    In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add sugar and cherries and stir to combine. Cook until cherries are tender and sugar dissolves, about 5 minutes.
    Remove skillet from heat. Add kirsch and carefully ignite. When flame is extinguished, serve over vanilla ice cream.

Or, try Bananas Foster
    Bananas Foster
    6 tablespoons unsalted butter
    1 cup light brown sugar, packed
    6 ripe bananas, peeled, sliced lengthwise and halved
    1/4 cup banana liqueur
    1/2 cup dark rum
    1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1 pint vanilla ice cream
    Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add the brown sugar and stir until the sugar completely dissolves, about 2 minutes. Lay the bananas in the pan and cook on both sides until they become slightly soft and begin to brown, about 3 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and add the banana liqueur and then the rum and cinnamon. Tip the pan slightly and carefully ignite the alcohol with a long kitchen match or kitchen lighter to flambe. Put the pan back on the heat and shake it back and forth basting the bananas, until the flame dies out.
    Divide the ice cream among dessert bowls. Gently lift the bananas from the pan and place 2 pieces on the ice cream. Spoon the sauce over the ice cream and serve immediately.
  •  
    A steamed Christmas pudding flambéed at the table and served with Hard Sauce is appropriate and KILLER!!! :)

You can make the pudding well in advance, weeks if you wish, soak it in brandy and wrap tightly and store in the frig. I have done this three weeks in advance and it gets to season nicely. Heat it before serving. :laugh:

Make the Hard Sauce with Brandy as well and when you serve it warm up a bit more Brandy to pour over the pudding before putting a light to it. Serve.

Blair

• FatMike
    FatMike Posts: 464
    How about some chocolate mint brownies....
    100_4935.jpg
  • You are making Dulce de Leche when you boil that can. It's the fantastic caramel stuff that I can eat right out of the can...forget the froufrou on top of it!

Your pie sounds like a real winner and I vote for that one.

Judy in San Diego, 75° and sunny in the daytime, COLD at night...my favorite part of the year.
    Judy in San Diego
  • chocdoc
    chocdoc Posts: 461
    Chocolate Fondant

200 grams chocolate (something nice and bittersweet)
    200 grams butter
    200 grams sugar
    4 extralarge eggs
    18 grams flour

1. 350º F. 8" tart pan, butter sides, parchment on bottom.
    2. Melt butter with chocolate, add sugar, when cool enough add eggs, then flour. Pour into pan.
    3. Bake 30 minutes, then turn off heat for 10 minutes. Best the next day - cut into small slivers.

To make fancy assed - a little gold flake as stike suggests!
  • Don't overlook the humble cookie...but grownup, less sugary cookies. A nice nut biscotti is a good match for dessert wines, or a shortbread w/a bit of fresh rosemary, topped w/flakes of sea salt. A shortbread mold can "fancy" up the cookies. Or, for the ultimate in grownup cookies...Dorie Greenspan's World Peace cookies (originally a Pierre Herme recipe): dark chocolate, with a big hit of salt. Sounds odd, but utterly addicting, easy to make, very tender and a standout against sweet, complicated holiday desserts. See the recipe here: http://cookbookhabit.blogspot.com/2009/02/tuesdays-with-dorie-world-peace-cookies.html
  • Mini apple pies. Use your favorite apple pie recipe, but use a biscuit cutter to cut the crust into rounds, and build the mini pies in muffin tins. Doesn't take as long to bake, so you'll have to keep an eye on them.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I would like to humbly submit deep fried Oreos. Best paired with a vintage port :P

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Can't disagree with that!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • This is a no brainer, no fail recipe that your friends will love.

PECAN STICKS

2 sticks butter, melted (Do Not be Afraid!)
    1/4 cup sugar
    1 tsp. vanilla
    2 cups flour
    1 cup chopped pecans

Mix all together with spoon. Form into small sticks and arrange on ungreased cookie sheet - 24 sticks will be the perfect size. Bake at 325 degrees for 20-25 minutes, til just beginning to get light brown. Cool and roll in powdered sugar.

These are excellent with coffee and are not too sweet... goes well with wine, too!
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • RRP
    Thanks to all for all the ideas! When all said and done
    Florida Grillin Girl's Pecan Logs tripped my trigger!
  • Cool. Let me know how your friends like them.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • RRP
    Will do - I plan to use a pastry gun to make them uniform or perhaps squiggly or wreath-like. Thanks again!
  • Boatman
    Boatman Posts: 854
    Try this:

Irish Cream Creme Brulee

Yield 6 creme brulees

Ingredients
    • 2 cups heavy cream
    • 1/3 cup white sugar
    • 6 egg yolks
    • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    • 3 tablespoons Irish cream liqueur
    • superfine sugar as needed
    Directions
    1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). Place 6 ramekins on a towel set in a roasting pan at least 3 inches deep.
    2. Stir together cream and sugar in a saucepan over medium heat, and cook until very hot, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Whisk together egg yolks, vanilla, and Irish cream until combined. Slowly add 1/3 of the hot cream, whisking it in 2 tablespoons at a time until incorporated. Once you have incorporated 1/3 of the cream, you can stir in the remaining hot cream without fear of the mixture curdling.
    3. Pour custard into the ramekins, then fill roasting pan with boiling hot water to come halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Bake in preheated oven until set, 50 to 60 minutes.
    4. Once the custard has set, place ramekins on a wire rack, and allow to cool to room temperature, about 1 hour. Cover, and refrigerate until cold, about 4 hours. Custards may remain refrigerated until ready to serve.
    5. Unwrap the custards, and sprinkle about 1 teaspoon of superfine sugar onto each. Gently shake the custards so the sugar coats the entire top surface, then tip the custards to a 45 degree angle and shake off excess sugar.
    6. Using a small hand torch, melt the sugar by making short passes over top of the custards with the flame not quite touching. Continue melting the sugar until it turns deep brown. Once the sugar has melted and turned to caramel, the cold custard underneath will harden the sugar into a crispy crust. Serve immediately. Alternatively, the sugar-dusted custards may be browned underneath the broiler in the oven.