Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

EXTREME Temperature Cook

Options
sprinter
sprinter Posts: 1,188
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
May not be extreme to some of you more northern folks with eggs but cooking in -19F was about the most extreme cook I've ever done. About the most extreme weather that this neck of the woods has seen in years also.[p]I had a request to cook a pork loin for a friend for Christmas eve lunch, wanted to pick it up relatively early in the AM on Friday. I fired up the egg Friday AM about 6AM, just to ensure that things would get going and that I would have no trouble. At that time of day, with it still dark here, it was -19, windchill was about -28. To my amazement the egg popped right open (after brushing 11 inches of snow off of it), I poured in some fresh lump, lit the starter and closed it up. Within 20 minutes it was stabilized at 325. PERFECT.[p]Loins went on about 8AM, cooked about 90 minutes on a raised grid, took them off about 140 internal, wrapped in foil and put in a cooler with towels and handed off to my friend to be eaten about 11AM. No word yet on whether they liked them or not but it was a fun cook and the egg worked flawlessly in those temps. I had jellyrolled the loins, did a basil pesto filling on one and a sun dried tomato pesto on the other. The sun dried tomato loin saw some BBQ rub on the outside and the basil pesto filled loin had an italian seasoning sprinkled on it. They smelled wonderful when they came off.[p]Hope everyone had a great christmas.[p]Troy

Comments