Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Crisp-less Spatchcock Chicken Skin

Options
Spoon
Spoon Posts: 328
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have done a few spatchcock chickens but I have yet to get the skin crispy.
I have done them direct and indirect on my Woo3 ring at felt level and even higher in the dome with the grill extender on top of the Woo3...I have tried cooking them at 350, 400, 425.

They all taste great and are juicy as all get out, but I am just not getting the crispy skin I am looking for. Any suggestions? :blush:

~Alex
"Pork so tender you can pull it with a spoon." ~Spoon

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    leave the chicken to dry, uncovered, in the fridge over night.

work a little oil under and on the skin, too.

higher up (raised), higher temps, and sometimes finishing skin down will do the trick

you might never get the super crisp oven-style skin though. the electric oven is a super-dry environment
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Alas, the elusive crispy skin. Have done this method a few times recently and seems to work for me.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=993397&catid=1
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I get good skin by overnight in fridge uncovered, NO oil,30 mins before put on rub and direct, skin side up at 400 raised.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    spatchxlangl2.png

start the bird skin side down on the woo3 or extender, direct set up. Keep it skin side down till you get the skin rendering just short of where you want it. then flip the bird over and finish to temp. It will take you a couple cooks to figure out when to flip the bird over. The skin will continue to render after you flip the bird.

when you take the bird off the egg, don't cover it or the steam/moisture trapped by the cover may soften the skin.
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • RU Eggsperienced
    Options
    I agree with Tom, this is how I do it and it works...the only downside is how the skin shrinks if you tear it during the flip...be careful and in my opinion spray or rub some oil on the grid so the skin doesn't stick... stike had an interesting point - why not do the skin sear at the end until perfect - think I may try that next time, though the method Tom mentioned I personally know works!!!..
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    I always do Spatchcock chicken raised direct. Then just turn the chicken over so skin side is down for the last 15 mins or so. Never failed to have crispy skin.