Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cracked Egg

surveyor
surveyor Posts: 124
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
About 1 month ago I cleaned my Large and discovered a hairline crack in the bottom section. Called Bruce. As you all know he is great. He helped me with my dealer and distributer who are also very good, to get a new bottom section. Large is 12 years old. Over the years I have purchased many extra parts. To make a long story short if I purchase a dome and a lifting ring I could have a new large egg and still keep using the old one until the crack gets worse. Do you all think it is a good thing to do or should I just use my existing dome and discard the old bottom? Thanks.

Comments

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    I like your second option. Two eggs are much better than one. ;)
  • surveyor
    I also have a small but I just hate to trow away what seems to be a perfectly usable egg. I am still using it for the last month even though it is cracked. As far as I know it may of been cracked for a long time, or it may of just happened.
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Just thinking...I have in my 'Baker Egg' two thin (1.250" thick)fire bricks down at the very bottom inside the egg shell and I have the fire box and fire ring sitting on top of the bricks. Keeps the bottom much cooler when baking. This would reduce the thermal stress at the crack. Everything inside is bumped up by 1.250" but no problems.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Seems like a great idea to me. But if you buy the new dome and use the cracked egg, I would suggest you place it on a fireproof surface (not your wooden deck). Always a good idea anyway, but especially so in this case. If the bottom fell out on a deck, it would seriously ruin your day!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• surveyor
    I have a concrete patio, but it is in a wood table with a stone under it sitting on the feet.
  • surveyor
    I was thinking of trying to put something in the bottom like maybe J-B weld over the crack and then maybe some grout like in a fireplace but your idea sounds better.