Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking for 100: How Much Pulled Pork?

berrygood
berrygood Posts: 372
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Try as I might, I can't find the pounds/people formula for serving pulled pork to the masses (yes, I looked). Can someone please post it? Thanks in advance and wish me luck.

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Divide the number to be served by 2.4
    100/2.4=41.66666
    If it were me,I'd do 50 pounds of cooked meat.
    Keep in mind that if you cook Butts you will have about a 40% reduction between raw and cooked weight.
    100 pounds raw-40%= 60 pounds cooked.
    Hope this helps.
  • Perfect, that's what I was looking for. Thanks Hoss.
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Keep in mind that you also need to consider what else will be available to eat with the pork. Is pork the only meat dish? Are there tons of other sides? The reason I ask is, I cooked for 250 people this past summer at a wedding. I didnt know that they were going to make "mini" sandwiches and serve with a ton of other stuff. I cooked 100 pounds raw and ended up with about 25% too much. If I cook for the same again I will probably divide by 3. I think 2.4 will be accurate if you are making regular sandwiches with it and only serving maybe chips and beans.
  •  
    The 2.4 is a good number. I guess I didn't reference it, nevertheless, some time ago Thirdeye had a great post about servings/sides/and quantity of PP. The amount of pork per person depended on the sides being served. 2.4 was one of the several numbers. He also showed some nice plastic serving containers. Possibly you can jump over to his site, it might be there.

GG
  • The 2.4 number is the calculation for the amount of RAW meat to purchase.

For example. if 100 guests each eat about 4 oz per person (assuming men/women 50/50 and no college athletes present :) ), then you need 25# of cooked meat.
    42# of raw, bone-in butt will yield 25# (60%) of cooked meat.

You might want to fudge a little higher, depending on sides, but cooking 60# of raw meat will give you lots of leftovers to deal with.
  • Hoss
    :blush: Thanks Clark,My bad.I'm one of those that would rather have 25 pounds left over(it freezes well) than to run short by 1 oz. ;)
  • Hoss
    To put it in laymans terms.I cook one 8 pound butt for every 10-12 people.You do the math.I ain't never ran out! ;)
  • Thanks for the replies. I have forty pounds smokin away...
  • Jeremy,

I cooked 42 +/- pounds a while back to feed about 100 people and had plenty left over. THEY WILL LOVE YOU for doing this !!!