Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need Andouille Ideas

chocdoc
chocdoc Posts: 461
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Picked up some Andouille when I was in Buffalo - a D'artangnen product. Curious to taste it so I'll know what to aim for when I make by own.

I realize that traditionally I should make gumbo or jambalaya, but wondering if anyone does anything else with it that I should consider trying first.

Comments

• I put it in Corn Chowder.

6 cups Corn kernels, fresh or frozen (2 pounds)
    4 cups Chicken broth (low sodium), divided
    2 tablespoons Olive oil
    1 pound Andouille sausage, cut into 1/4" pieces
    1 ½ cups Onion , chopped
    1 pound Potatoes, red (about 3 medium), unpeeled, cut into 1/4" cubes
    2 ½ teaspoons Thyme, dried
    ⅛ teaspoon Cayenne pepper
    2 cups Half & Half
    Fresh thyme twigs, for garnish

Blend 3 cups corn kernels and 1 1/2 cups broth in processor to coarse puree. Transfer to large bowl. Heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add sausage and sauté until beginning to brown, about 3 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer sausage to small bowl.
    Add onion and remaining 3 cups corn kernels to same skillet; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Sauté over medium-high heat until onion begins to soften, 5 to 6 minutes. Add potatoes and stir until potatoes begin to soften, about 2 minutes (corn may begin to brown slightly). Transfer corn mixture to large pot. Add dried thyme, cayenne, reserved pureed corn mixture, and remaining 2 1/2 cups broth to pot. Bring just to boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer uncovered until potatoes are tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Add half and half and sausage. Simmer uncovered until heated through, about 2 minutes. Season chowder to taste with salt and pepper. Simmer 5 minutes longer to thicken, if desired. DO AHEAD Soup can be made 1 day ahead. Cool, cover, and chill. Rewarm over medium heat, stirring often (do not boil).

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• If it's in link form, grill it and put it on a bun with your favorite condiments. I like Hhorseradish, some good hot german mustard, maybe some barbeque sauce, etc.....

If it;s just ground meat, patty it, grill it, and put it on a round bun.

Feel free to add some cheese to either version.
  • pizza,lasagna,spaghetti sauce, black beans & rice :)
  • If it is Louisiana-style andouille (as opposed to the french-style andouille sausage filled with tripe, etc), treat it as a "seasoning meat" and use it where you would use bacon, tasso, country ham, pickled pork, etc. It's a typically southern technique to flavor vegetable dishes with salted/smoked meats. IOW, cut it into bite-sized pieces and saute/brown in a little fat/oil along w/aromatics (onion, garlic, so on), then add your favorite veg. The andouille will deliver smoky flavor and brown, porky notes to infuse the entire dish. Any sort of pea or bean, potato hash, dressings/stuffings, soups, stews, and so on.
    Here's a photo of sweet potato andouille hash, of speckled butter beans w/andouille-- pb051685.jpg
    p9120421.jpg
    Also, try removing the outer casing & slicing, very thinly, lengthwise: voila, andouille bacon, perfect for crisping in a pan:
    p9121609.jpg
    (edited to insert images)
  • diced, browned, and mixed into mashed potatoes with some cheese and chives or scallions.
  • chocdoc
    chocdoc Posts: 461
    Thanks for all the ideas - I don't feel so limited now.
  • I made a real good andouille stuffing. Recipe at busterdogbbq.com
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    I didnt see it mentioned in these threads so I suggest using it in red beans n rice...is awesome!

Red Beans and Rice

The quintessential New Orleans dish, traditionally served on Mondays.

A lot of this is going to be trial-and-error, and it's going to take a little practice before you get it right. Me, I got good at it by making it once a week for over two years, and putting out an open invitation to my friends that there'd be red beans 'n rice at Chuck's place every Sunday (well, it was tough to cook on Mondays back then).

This dish holds a very special place in my heart. While I have many favorite dishes, and have had fabulous meals the likes of which come along very rarely ... this is tops. It's delicious, it's cheap, it's simple, and it makes me feel good. It's the number one comfort food in the world for me.

You'll probably want to fiddle with it each time you make it, and arrive at the exact, instinctual combinations of seasonings that you like. Feel free to alter this recipe to your taste, but don't stray too far.

You can make this dish completely vegetarian, and it's still really good; instructions are below.

This recipe is featured on pages 116-117 of the 2001 Frommer's Guide to New Orleans, for which I also wrote a bunch of restaurant reviews. Neato!

* 1 pound red kidney beans, dry
    * 1 large onion, chopped
    * 1 bell pepper, chopped
    * 5 ribs celery, chopped
    * As much garlic as you like, minced (I like lots, 5 or 6 cloves)
    * 1 large smoked ham hock, 3/4 pound of Creole-style pickle meat (pickled pork), or 3/4 lb. smoked ham, diced, for seasoning
    * 1 to 1-1/2 pounds mild or hot smoked sausage or andouille, sliced on the bias
    * 1/2 to 1 tsp. dried thyme leaves, crushed
    * 1 or 2 bay leaves
    * As many dashes Crystal hot sauce or Tabasco as you like, to taste
    * A few dashes Worcestershire sauce
    * Creole seasoning blend, to taste; OR,
    o red pepper and black pepper to taste
    * Salt to taste
    * Fresh Creole hot sausage or chaurice, links or patties, grilled or pan-fried, one link or patty per person (optional)
    * Pickled onions (optional)

Soak the beans overnight, if possible. The next day, drain and put fresh water in the pot. (This helps reduce the, um, flatulence factor.) Bring the beans to a rolling boil. Make sure the beans are always covered by water, or they will discolor and get hard. Boil the beans for about 45 - 60 minutes, until the beans are tender but not falling apart. Drain.

While the beans are boiling, sauté the Trinity (onions, celery, bell pepper) until the onions turn translucent. Add the garlic and saute for 2 more minutes, stirring occasionally. After the beans are boiled and drained, add the sautéed vegetables to the beans, then add the ham hock (or ham or pickle meat), smoked sausage, seasonings, and just enough water to cover.

Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a low simmer. Cook for 2 hours at least, preferably 3, until the whole thing gets nice and creamy. Adjust seasonings as you go along. Stir occasionally, making sure that it doesn't burn and/or stick to the bottom of the pot. (If the beans are old -- say, older than six months to a year -- they won't get creamy. Make sure the beans are reasonably fresh. If it's still not getting creamy, take 1 or 2 cups of beans out and mash them, then return them to the pot and stir.)

If you can ... let the beans cool, stick them in the fridge, and reheat and serve for dinner the next day. They'll taste a LOT better. When you do this, you'll need to add a little water to get them to the right consistency.

Serve generous ladles-ful over hot white long-grain rice, with good French bread and good beer. I also love to serve grilled or broiled fresh Creole hot sausage or chaurice on the side. Do not serve with a canned-beet salad, like my Mom always used to do. (Sorry, Mom ... try something interesting with fresh beets and we'll talk. :^)

I like serving a few small pickled onions with my red beans -- I chop them up and mix them in with the beans. It's great! Why does it taste so good? As my sister's friend (and dyed-in-the-wool New Orleanian) Cherie Valenti would say ... "It's da vineguh!"

YIELD: 8 servings