Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tel-Tru Thermo Question.

Boxerpapa
Boxerpapa Posts: 989
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Looking to upgrade my thermometer. Opinions on 2.5 inch stem or 5 inch stem? 150-700 degrees or 200-1000 degrees? Thanks in advance for the input.

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Hope you get some good answers... my OEM isn't going to last forever and I've wondered the same things. I'm thinkin' 5" and 150-750° (it's 750, not 700 btw). I've never been able to get my egg past 750 anyway!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    IMHO,2.5" 200-750.And a Thermapen. ;)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    im a fan of the 2.5 inch stem, it reads low, inaccurate by about 10 to 15 percent. i add ten percent to the reading and things cook faster :laugh: ive bent too many 4 and 5 inch stems, once you get used to the shorter stem and adding a tip of ten to 15 percent you will love it, if it reads 300, raise the temp to 330, its that simple. naked whiz has a study
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    I have two 5 inch stem 150-700 degrees. Just be careful. I also can put the stem holder on the outside it holds it up nicely sort of like fishlessman only mine sticks up on the outside. Tim ;)
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    The temp range is up to you, I do a lot of things at low temps (jerky, smoked salmon) so I selected the 150-750°. I also have the 5" stem, and here's why:

The 2-1/2" stem is too short, not enough of the shaft reaches into the Egg to get an accurate measurement. I believe The Naked Whiz review put the short stem therms about 15° too low. Since there is a 20° to 30° difference between dome thermometer and the actual cooking temp at the grate anyway, why put another 15° into that equation?

It's very easy to build an external spacer or use an alligator clip, or clothes pin if you have a big roast you are worrying that you may hit with the 5" stem. for all the rest of the cooks, there is no problem hitting anything.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    I use the 2.5 on my mini and smalls and 5 on the rest.
    All are the 700 max.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Hey RM,

We carry both temp ranges in the 5" stem. I prefer the lower range, I feel it's more critical to watch the lower end temps as opposed to the higher end temps.

Not sure they are any better than the BGE model though, JMO.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Smitty,
    I got three of the 2.5 on my eggs now and they are far superior to the OEM BGE ones. Just MHO
  • Interesting, the thermo that came with my new XL is a BGE thermoobviously, but I think I saw "Tel-Tru" written on it as well. I will have to double check tonight...
  • If you have a 5" probe and pull it out a couple inches to avoid an interference, you're approaching the 2.5" probe. In these cases do you add 10-15% to the reading as you would with the 2.5" probe?

Barry
    Marthasville, MO
  • Gandolf
    Gandolf Posts: 906
    The 5" (and maybe the 2." too, I don't know), has a small
    groove near the end of the probe. As long as the thermo is inserted far enough to expose the groove, the temp reading is accurate. I have the 5 inchers on both my Eggs and have a wine cork as a spacer. They work perfectly. I didn't want to "do the math."
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I haven't read the other responses. Personally I use 3 of the 5" ones that run 200 to 1,000. I have yet to bend one as it is only 1" longer than a BGE thermometer and I take up half of that with a toy wheel spacer.
    IMG_0114.jpg

I tend to cook at higher temps so rather than taxing the 750 ceiling on occasion the 1,000 allows me protection. On the low end I never egg below 200 anyway so 150 gives me nothing.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • thirdeye
    Right. That groove is at the top of the tiny coil inside the thermometer and actually holds it in place. It also gives a visual to the user to indicate the active length of the stem. (from the groove to the tip)

With the 5" model, I recall that without a spacer, the groove was about 2" to 2-1/4" from the inside face of my large Egg's dome. So I use a 1-1/4" spacer; this gives me about 1" from the inside face to the groove and a total projection of around 2-1/2" inside the Egg.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• thirdeye
    If you have a 750° cook going on, you could just remove the thermometer. At that temp it's all a visual anyway isn't it?
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Wayne, yes, you are correct...guess I wasn't very clear on my rationale for using the higher range thermometer. Tel-Tru warns "in my words" that while the thermometer is capable of reading at the 750 for that one model or 1,000 for the other model that I prefer it suggests that damage can occur and it's not a good idea to max it out or "tax it" as I say. Therefore when I'm going to go into after-burner mode to sear meat in the 700 to 750 range - even though it is a brief encounter I don't worry about my 1,000° ones. In addition I've yet had to change a single one of mine in the 7 or 8 years I've had them as they have remained dead on accurate and I've even measured at higher ends by quickly swapping out my Thermapen to check at the 500° level. With perfect results at that level I trust my Tel-Tru thermometers on up the scale.

PS I have to laugh...I've always wondered why the 750 vs. the 1,000 becomes such a Chevy vs. Ford item on this board!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Thanks for the clarification.

Barry
    Marthasville, MO
  • rcone
    rcone Posts: 219
    Now on the Tel-Tru website there are 3.5in abs 5inch models.
    "Feed me, or feed me to something; I just want to be part of the food chain" Al Bundy

LBGE, SBGE, Carson Rotisserie, Blackstone Griddle  

Milwaukee, Wisconsin