Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sunday night burgers and POUTINE !

MatDrums
MatDrums Posts: 19
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi! I cooked great buegers on the Egg yesterday evening. But, the star of the meal was the home made poutine, a Quebec delicacy! The gravy was made from the turkey stock from last week's Green Egg turkey cook. Needless to say, it was EXCELLENT! I even think it was less fatty than a poutine you order in any grease pit around here.

Pics of the cook:

Meat:
IMG_2519.jpg

Poutine:
IMG_2533.jpg

PLated:
IMG_2535.jpg

Have a good week!

Comments

• LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    that's great!

Haven't done poutine in a while... the home made turkey gravy is a neat alternative.
    context is important :)
  • fire egger
    fire egger Posts: 1,124
    Your meal looks good! I'm from the southern US and have never heard of Poutine, always looking to expand my culinary horizons, could you give me a little info and a recipe maybe?
    thanks
  • I have been dying to try an authentic poutine ever since Lord of the Wings up in Canada told me about them. The hard part is procuring the cheese curds around the south.

Paired with a burger, I bet these were over the top good!
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Where is a good place to get the cheese curds needed for Poutine in the states?
  • Yes, here it is:

Poutine originated from Quebec a couple of decades ago (there are still disputes about the city of origin, but I digress) and we can find it everywhere around here.

Basically, it is french fries, with fresh curd cheese and gravy. It can also be made of grated cheese, it is an acceptable alternative, but not the 'real' thing.

Basically, that's it. The quality of a poutine varies with the 3 ingredients, but the cheese, the gravy and the quantities they are in are what make or break a poutine.

After that, you can add anything you want if you want something extra:
    sausages
    Chicken and peas (what we call a galvaude - very good!)
    Pastrami (Montreal Smoked meat around here)
    Gound beef
    There is even a high end restaurant in Montreal that makes a foie gras poutine, but I never tried it.

The gravy I made was from turkey stock, added salt, pepper, corn starch and that's about it. Tasted a lot like the KFC gravy.

I hope it answerd your questions and that you will try one. Tasty food!
  • Lobicho
    Lobicho Posts: 557
    ay ay yaaaay...

nice....whats on the salad?
    what type of bread is it for the burgers?

great job dude...
  • fire egger
    fire egger Posts: 1,124
    Thanks a lot, that answers nicely, sounds interesting, I will have to try it. finding the curd chees will be a challenge, but we will give it a whirl
  • Thanks! Salad is made of baby spinach, cottage cheese, salt and pepper. Simple, classic.

The bread is from Wal Mart. Kind of half baked mini burger buns. Don't know the brand...but they were excellent.
  • LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    fire egger wrote:
    Thanks a lot, that answers nicely, sounds interesting, I will have to try it. finding the curd chees will be a challenge, but we will give it a whirl

http://www.ehow.com/how_5106352_make-cheese-curds-poutine.html

I haven't tried it. but have made cheese at home and is similar in taste and texture.
    context is important :)
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Drunk at the EGG wrote:
    Where is a good place to get the cheese curds needed for Poutine in the states?

I'm from Canada and LOVE poutine. It's one of my favorite foods. In NC I have yet to find curds. I need to call around to some places to see if a smaller specialty place around here carries it. None of my local grocery stores do so far as I've seen.

If anyone knows of a place in or around Raleigh, NC....I'd love to know. Last time I was in a bar down here for dinner I saw they actually have fries with gravy and cheese. IT was pretty good, but not the real thing. I couldn't believe they actually had it on the menu.

I've used turkey, beef, chicken and other gravies for poutine and they are all good. For cheese I usually use mozzarella and it gets the job done. Have to improvise when you live in NC. Putting gravy on fries down here usually gets weird looks and comments. LOL. They don't know what they are missing.
  • WWSis
    WWSis Posts: 1,448
    I love love love poutine! Given my proximity to the border (40 minutes), we are lucky enough to get it a few times a year...nice looking dinner!
  • chocdoc
    chocdoc Posts: 461
    Two of the best poutines I've had.

The first at Au Pied de Cochon in Montreal - poutine made with french fries cooked in duck fat, the gravy laced with foie gras and topped with a perfectly cooked chunk of foie.

5239603689_868b25f3ea.jpg
    DSCN0375 by ChocDoc1, on Flickr

The second - in St Hyacinthe Quebec - the curds were so fresh they squeaked - that's the way you want them, but don't often get them!

5239603649_c4106617c9.jpg
    DSCN2000 by ChocDoc1, on Flickr
  • NC-CDN
    Those both look delectable. Wannabe poutine is on the menu for tonight!
  • chocdoc
    Not sure where you are located - but Wegmans sells curds from a company called Yancy's Fancy.
  • NC-CDN
    chocdoc wrote:
    Not sure where you are located - but Wegmans sells curds from a company called Yancy's Fancy.

No wegmans here. I even googled it. Found a facebook group about it too. LOL. Could just be a northern thing. I dunno.
  • chocdoc
    NC-CDN wrote:
    chocdoc wrote:

No wegmans here. I even googled it. Found a facebook group about it too. LOL. Could just be a northern thing. I dunno.
    Think they are as far south as Ohio these days.
  • The better half and I went to Au Pied du Cochon a few weeks back and loved it. Neither of us tried the Poutine. Anthony Bourdain did an episode of No Reservations Required on Quebec and he went to a restaurant in Montreal that has a huge selection of poutine which I may have to try the next time I get there.

http://www.restolabanquise.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=85&Itemid=109&lang=en

Tom

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• Drunk at the EGG,

Wisconsin. Sorry I couldn't help it.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Andrew,

You can use baby bocconcini in a pinch. ;)

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON