Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

how do i cook this??

Options
BigA
BigA Posts: 1,157
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
brussel sprouts??? never have i had them or ate them, thought maybe i should give them a try, what is the best way to cook them up?? :huh:

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Can you return them? If not, there's always the trash can. :sick:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    I love them with Shaking the Tree rub. Look for a dhuffjr brussel sprout recipe in an Eggtoberfest recipe file. I'd guess which year but I'd be wrong. It is in one of them I'm gonna guess 2006 +/- 2 :woohoo:
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    Michael, shame on you.

You could sautee them in olove oil or clarified butter or bacon grease or pancetta fat. If they are large, before you sautee them, place a little bit of water in the pan and place the lid on and steam them for a while. If tey are small, this step is unnecessary. At the end add a little sauteed minced garlic S&P and pancetta or lardons or bacon bits.
  • BigA
    Options
    i will give them a try, it was 2007 :laugh:
  • BigA
    Options
    bacon makes everything good, but wanted to try them a healthy way first :laugh: :laugh:
  • PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    Options
    I cut the large ones in half and X the bottom of the smaller ones. Then roast in the oven with cippolini onions in the rendered fat from a roast chicken. Salt and pepper and you're good to go. There are lots of recipes for deep fried brussels sprouts too. I saw it done on "Best Thing" series on the Food Network. Glad you're open minded in trying these little morsels.
  • BigA
    Options
    sounds good, well i figure i eat most everything else but have never tried them, and they are supposed to be great for a persons health, so why not, i guess if i dont like them i can throw them in the juicer :laugh: , but i am sure i will like them. :cheer: thanks for the info. :)
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
  • dhuffjr
    Options
    ......maybe..... B)
  • Hoss
    Options
    Try this...
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/roasted-brussels-sprouts-recipe2/index.html
    You can easily adapt this to the Egg.One suggestion.After you follow her directions,drizzle with a balsamic "syrup",sprinkle with roasted,chopped pecans and top with a little REAL parm. ;)
  • WingRider
    Options
    Just don't try the "steam bag" ones in the freezer section....those are horrible. :sick: Fresh is the only way to go :cheer:
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Spot on Hoss! Roasted brussels are awesome! So is roasted cauliflower! I use a metal pie pan (not an aluminum tin). Toss the veggies in EVOO, S&P, you can even add some of your favorite rub, and let them roast in the pan right on the grid, tossing around often for even browning. If you're doing an indirect cook, put the pan right on the platesetter. Direct or indirect, good eats for sure!
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Rebecca, I was only trying to save him the trouble of messin' with 'em. I would sooner eat a McRib than brussels sprouts! Well, I've never actually HAD a McRib, but it would HAVE to be better! :laugh:

Just so you know, I love asparagus, broccoli and just about any fresh green vegetable... but NOT sprouts! ;)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Metalhead
    Options
    take them over to the trash bin, open it up and let them fall listlessly into the garbage, then go get a beer and a large pepperoni pizza. B)
  • Metalhead
    Options
    i responded to the question b4 reading the posts, and mine sounds alot like urs. :sick:
  • dhuffjr
    Options
    I use a enameled cast iron 'braiser' I think it was called. The clean up of that enameled cast iron is so much easier than when I did sprouts in a stainless skillet. For sprouts I have a lid that I can put on for a steaming step of sorts.
  • Hoss
    Options
    I agree MOST people that don't like em never had em cooked rite. :)
  • Hoss
    Options
    Ever tried em CHOPPED??? :laugh: ;)
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    you are right .. don't cook them ,, step away from them they are rotten little devil eggs .. you know the movie alien,, brussel sprouts are how that creature got inside of sigourney
    they smell like skunk cabbbge when they are cooked.
  • Hoss
    Options
    :evil: :evil: They make a good garnish for smoked 'Loney sammiches!!! :evil: :woohoo:
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Dammit Hoss

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Booooo....Hisssss....Booooooo....Hisssssss.... :laugh: :silly: I bet you just haven't had them cooked right... :laugh:
  • Gator Bait
    Options

I have never had sprouts but love the cabbage cooked with a New England Boiled Dinner, add a little butter and a little vinegar, S&P and it's great. The roasted sprouts sound wonderful, I may have to try them. :)

Blair

• Hoss
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :evil:
  • Eggscriber
    Options
    I have cooked them a few times on my BGE. The only addition I would make is to partially cook them prior to putting them on the egg. You could nuke them or par boil them to start the process. If you try to cook them entirely on the egg, you will likely dry out their delicious exterior. ;)
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    I grew up eating them the way most of us did...boiled. For a while, I actually loved them, then I grew to despise them.

Then I saw an Alton Brown episode where he said that roasted brussels sprouts taste totally different than boiled sprouts. He's right. You've got to try them roasted. I've also had them shredded (food processor), and sauteed with bacon, but I prefer them roasted. The best I've had was roasted in the drip pan under a pork loin roulade that was wrapped in bacon.

IMG_1936.jpg
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    have eaten them boiled and steamed, not great :laugh: if i had some i might try the wok, some bacon grease, and a rub maybe or just salt and pepper, some vinegar dressing at the end wouldnt hurt. i do that with cabbage so why not brussels
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    Oh, and by the way, I don't think I saw this mentioned in the posts above (sorry if I'm repeating), but smaller sprouts are better than huge ones. They tend to be sweeter.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    zackly...

100% agreement on that.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Metalhead
    Options
    you might be right, BUT as long as I can feed myself, I will not, and I repeat will not eat them on purpose.