Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone do this?

cookingdude555
cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am doing ribs on my large today, and taking my bubba keg to a friends house to cook the chicken. Its the big University of Utah vs BYU game (I know, its big here, no so much outside of Utah). The ribs have been chugging since early this morning, but I am doing the chicken during the game, but didnt get the thighs cleaned and drying in the fridge until about thirty minutes ago. I put them in my garage fridge, and put a fan in the fridge in hopes it would dry the skin some (only going to get 1.5 hours in there). I guess on to my question, has anyone done this, and did it help speed it up if the standard overnight skin drying is not available?

0365a8de.jpg

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    I've done it with wings a few times. It works fairly well.
  •  
    That is a neat idea taking the keg on the hitch and doing the cook.

Enjoy the game I will be thinking of you in the 25° weather and watching (I hope) the game on TV, I will crank the heat up in the house a bit just for you.

My S-I_L Jon is routing to the Y so I guess I will route for the U just to keep things stirred up.

Kent
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    if you planned to do that often this little $18 fan might be a wise investment. I was wishing I had one the other night when I was drying my 3 day brined turkey breast.
    http://www.rvshop.com/FRIDGECOOL-FAN-WITH-ONOFF-SWITCH-BATTERY-OPERATED-BY-VALTERRA-A10-2606_p_54796.html
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Thanks Fidel, good to know I am not the only person to try something crazy like this. By the way, I cant help hearing the voice of Hannibal from the A-Team narrating your comments everytime I read your posts. Dunno, must be the cigar thing in the pic.

Anyway, the drying seemed to be a success. The skin resembled skin that had been left to dry for a day or so. I may do this again to speed up the process as I love drying wings out before cooking.
  • Hey Kent, wild game! I cant believe BYU lost (I am a nuetral party really), it was their game to win several times over. It was a fun time though.

You are right, it was cold out, but nothing compared to the pizza party we had the night before Thanksgiving. I cooked about 10 pizzas in near 0 degree temps that night. The medium and large each had to be refueled during the process. I knew it was going to be bad, so I ran the eggs wide open throttle an hour before anyone came to get the ceramics/platsetters/stones hot, then refueled them to start cooking pies.

The bubba keg worked good, but I struggled with my common problem when I dont use a kettle, burning chicken fat when it hits the diffuser (a pizza stone on a homemade spider my brother and I welded). I have got to figure this one out, my weber kettle chicken still trumps the eggs or the bubba keg. But the boneless skinless variety is great on the egg/keg. I like to cook chicken at high heat, and it is a problem when the fat has no where to go, or flashes on the diffuser. I may pick your brain in an email about this.
  • RRP, I like the Fridge fan idea, I never thought that something like that even existed. The cord running in the door of my fridge did make the door want to pop open, this would solve that. Thanks for the tip.
  •  
    My kids that like BYU said the coaches won the game for them. The kids that like the U said the U played well.

I think the U better recruit some more talent or get their game together in the upcoming years with the new teams they will be playing.

I sort of understand re-loading the medium but I would think the large would hold enough lump to handle 5 to 7 pizzas. I bet the pizzas were good though.

Interesting about the Weber doing a better job on the wings. Are you burning briquettes in the Weber or lump - guessing briquettes.

Glad you enjoyed the game. Kent
  • I think that all of your kids are correct :) . Next year will be a challenge for the Utes, I think running through the conference undefeated will not be the norm anymore.

Most of the first load was used heating up the egg. I only fill up the firebox, seems easier to get to 700 on a full firebox instead of the fire ring full as well. The airflow is better (atleast in my dump and light method). Lump goes quick at 700.

I am pretty much a lump guy even on the Weber's. The reason I like the Weber is it does indirect without having to change a configuration to go direct. All of the fat drips on to an unlit side of the grill (no fat burning smoke), and then I go direct to crisp up at the end. I should have used a drip pan Saturday. I really just need to spend more time doing wings and chicken on the egg to get a reliable method down. I will need to now that the performer is under 18 inches of snow. Another wing lunch tomorrow with work people coming to my house will give me a 2nd chance. I guess I am headed to Harmons today for a test run ..
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Better to be voiced as Hannibal Smith than as Hannibal Lecter...I guess.

Good points to both of them, depending on the audience.
  • Kent,

Question on American English. When you say route as in to cheer for, do you say it the same way as you would if you were talking about a highway? Rowt vs root?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON