Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thanksgiving Boneless Prime Rib Eye Roast

thirdeye
thirdeye Posts: 7,428
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
DSC01461ra.jpg

Earlier this week I asked for advice on cooking this boneless roast, as I always try to get a bone-in one. Thanks for the replies and the e-mails. Here is the lowdown on what I did to keep it moist and flavorful.

For three days I gave it a drying treatment in the beer fridge. Next came a mustard/garlic/thyme slather for about six hours (still in the fridge).

An indirect set-up with a 250° pit temp was used for most of the cook (I did ramp up the cooker for a crisp up toward the end), and I cooked this one fat cap DOWN to act as a heat shield like cooking a brisket. Flavor wood was cherry. When the internal temp broke 100°, I removed it long enough to inject four or five ounces of a jazzed up hot aujus (inspired from RRP's Guest Pit Boss recipe on my site) into it. Then I finished it off to an internal of 125° in the center.

DSC01463ra.jpg

DSC01475raaa.jpg

My other meat dish was a fresh turkey breast injected with Old Dave's version of Shake's brine, marinated in Italian dressing and seasoned with Cluck & Squeal plus some Montreal steak rub.

DSC01464.jpg

DSC01467a.jpg
Happy Trails
~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery

Comments

•  
    Great looking cook and thanks for the details.

I think I went to the wrong house for Thankgiving dinner.

Be well, Kent
  • OMGoodness, that looks awesome.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • About the same, but we finished at 140F because folks wanted no red meat. However, this was a prime cut, and even at 138-140F it was incredible, with a slight hint of pink in larger section of roast!!! Maybe one of the best cooks yet. The coarse crushed garlic and coarse mustard were magic :woohoo: :lol: :silly: :

IMG_2468.jpg

Let it hover between 350 and 400 for about 2 hours or so.

IMG_2476.jpg

Would have shown plated, but folks were WAY to hungry to tolerate my picture taking!!!!

Happy holiday weekend to all!
  • Thirdeye,

Quicky, do you turn your roasts during cooking, and if so, how often?

I only turned once in the cook, and was chasing really uneven temps in roast (one end 130F and other below 110).

I am sure it all evens once you pull and tent, but next time cooking for myself to 125-130 for nicer finish, and dont want to under or overcook.

Your pics are great!!!!
  • Deluca
    Deluca Posts: 148
    OUTSTANDING!!!
    I did a 1.85 lb. roast for my brother in law and myself. The wife refuses to "not" do a turkey in the oven. I don't like turkey enough to do 2, like I did last year, so I went with the Prime rib.
    I just used garlic slivers stuffed into the top, EVOO, salt and pepper, and mustard/worchestire slather. I only had about a cup of apple chips left to use and found that to be just enough smoke for a hint of flavor. Cooked it at 250 until it was 125, pulled it out and let it sit for 20 minutes.
    The best roast I've ever had!!!!
    I'm thankful for my egg and this forum!
    And the family and all that stuff too..
  • thirdeye
    I didn't turn it but I rotated it so the thicker side (with the rib cap muscle) was toward the rear of my Egg for most of the cook. I have a hotter area back there.

When I temped it, I did notice some inconsistancy in the internals because of the lack of bones, and that is why I chose to go fat cap down. I would rather under finish them a hair and return a slice to the pit or just a cast iron skillet if it is too rare for one or two folks.

I considered using a foil boat for part of the cook like I do on my tenderloins... that seems to help.

DSC09734a.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Looks great Wayne!! Nice shade of red! ;)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    That looks perfect. Thanks for sharing all the details.

After doing this- do you still prefer cooking the bone in (standing) roast, or do you think the boneless roast is just as good?

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    LAWDAMERCEY dem is some MITEEFINE lookin vittles!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    Wayne, that was one nice lookin chunk-o-cow...both raw and finished!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Looks like some good eats.

I have not tried boneless for my rib roast. It seems that boneless would have some challenges, but it looks like you were very successful.

I like the bone-in roast because the bones are fun to gnaw. Also, the dog appreciates the bone-in because she gets a nice treat that keeps on giving for weeks.

I wonder how the mustard slather would work on mine instead of evoo. Hmmm. Something I will have to try sometime.
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    Looks absolutely perfect to me! ;)
    We had turkey and ham yesterday - I've decided come Christmas I'm doing something different - prime rib it will be. Thanks for posting and including the steps you followed. :)
  • Wayne,

Simply beautiful! I can see no reason to do a hot prime rib.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    That is a great looking roast!! I am interested in the drying method and will give it a try.

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE
  • thirdeye
    That's a tough question.... I bet I haven't cooked ten boneless ones in my whole life, and this one was one of the best one of them, so I definitely will do them again... On the other hand, bone-in ones are almost automatic, possibly the easiest thing you can barbecue, plus you get the bones for later (a big advantage).

In my case, my only outlet for choice beef is Sam's Club and they only get boneless ones at my store. A little market is doing a special order for Christmas for bone-in choice grade standing rib roasts, to the tune of $12 a pound, which is hard to swallow. Heheee, value wise I mean.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• thirdeye
    Thanks Ron. Even though I'm in the middle of cow country, it's too bad I don't have beef connections like you do.

The changes I made to your aujus were subtle... I used the Lipton Beef and Onion dry mix, added some aujus powder we get through a restaurant, used Herb-Ox brand bullion (we've talked about this) and added some Montreal steak seasoning.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• thirdeye
    Right, a chef told me many years ago "don't try to cook a prime rib, just warm it up".
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Hoss
    I agree.We can get Standing Rib Roasts(choice) for 12-13 $ per pound.(bone included in the weight)The Kroger has Choice Ribeye Primals on sale regularly for 5-6 $ per pound.I love dem bones but they ain't worth that. :whistle: I will replicate your cook on Sunday but I will add Horseradish into the slather. ;)
  • Hoss
    Ya'll split a steak! ;)