Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Who else is NOT cooking turkey

WessB
WessB Posts: 6,937
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We decided to stray from tradition this year...well..honestly we have strayed many years..LOL...Whatcha cookin if it aint the bird?????

Comments

•  
    Because of son-in-laws and daughter-in-laws family we have decided to celebrate our T-Giving on the Sunday before Thanksgiving.

So on Thanksgiving day each year it's Ham (home made Honey Baked Ham) and whoever can come over is welcome. Ham and Swiss Cheese Sandwiches & pies.

Kent
  • Its at my moms house this year. My brother and I dont want to offend my mom's turkey or steal her thunder, so we are making wings as an appetizer. Ok, not really thanksgiving related, but we like wings, and we are going to make them, dammit.

Kent, I just saw your response. Your "whoever can come over is welcome" invite might bring a short guy that likes wings on your doorstep. (just kidding, I will be full, but the ham sounds real good)
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    have been looking for a venison roast... small one, to do in addition to the bird

probably won't pull it off this year though
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    I have some I could have sent if'n ya woulda axed me.

Here's the bigger question - who here is doing turkey in the oven instead of in the BGE?

(sheepishly raising my hand)
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    I heard those oven gaskets were not food safe
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    18 for dinner: wife doing her turkey in oven. I am doing maple ham on small and spatchcocked turkey on large.
    Did PBM's gravy on Sunday to get ready and will have his extra juice for the cornbread dressing.
    It takes a village to make this meal....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    mad max turkey with duck fat on the egg. taditional stuffed bird in the oven for my sister who doesnt like "smoked turkey of the grill, who's not showing up
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • This year just to do something different I took the Maple Rum receipe off of the forum for bone in ham.
    We got a butt half, so tonight I'll bone it out, put the marinade on it and tie it back up with the bones inside. First time doing this. Happy Thanksgiving to all.
  •  
    I get out of cooking Thanksgiving and go to my sisters house for the day. My niece will be in town and I only get to see her and her family twice a year if I am lucky so I got an invite for tomorrow night as well for knackwurst and sauerkraut. The turkey will be egged, not sure about the K&S.

Have a great Thanksgiving All,

Blair

• Tried to talk my traveling companion into prime rib instead of a turkey last week.

She said okay :)

An hour later she changed her mind :laugh:

So we had prime rib past weekend :silly:

And for T-Day
    "Don't make a science project out of it" MM Turkey
    Cornbread dressing with andoille and pecans
    Sweet potato casserole (brought one to work today for office luncheon - big hit)
    Mashed taters and gravy (two taters? :unsure: )
    Dirty rice (maybe - too many starches already)
    Pumpkin pie

Drowning the bird in the brine tomorrow evening
    Browning the good stuff for the stock tomorrow night and starting the stock

Friday - After deboning the turkey and making more stock will make a large turkey, andoille, and oyster gumbo. the gumbo is outstanding and bonus is I don't have to eat turkey sammies for two weeks. :woohoo:
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I heard Max is cooking a butt this year. Said his turkeys suck.

Could be just a rumor though. :blink: :laugh: :laugh:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• I'm thinking of cooking chicken drumsticks. I might toss a couple of turkey wings in the cooker just for fun, though.
    The Naked Whiz
  • I am sitting in a hotel room in Tokyo...I think I will have sushi on Tksgiving. I would much rather have turkey.
  • Davekatz
    Davekatz Posts: 763
    The mob is coming to our house on Friday, so we'l do the bird then. For T-day I'm making a big batch of chili on the egg in a dutch oven.
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
  • Dreggs
    Dreggs Posts: 147
    Can't. Presidential pardon.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Rack of lamb here. An easy cook with m&c and veggie or two..

r
  •  
    Any time John. I would like to taste your wings though.

I've got to get to the store before this storm hits, if it is going to be as bad as the weather guessers say it's going to be.

Be well.

Kent
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    So what are "you" making?

Going prime rib. Friends are making turkey and ham so we are taking the small Egg in hopes of cooking up a 9# bone in Angus rib roast.
    Might have to cut a bone off to make it fit. Looks very tight at this point.
    Also taking the Mini for some grilled shrimp.
    Happy Holiday to you and your family Wess,
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    I figured someone would ask that eventually.....actually we special ordered a six pack, it will arrive tomorrow...

http://www.tastesofchicago.com/category/Lou_Malnatis_Pizza

lou_malnatis_4_pizza_pack_471.jpg
  • do i really have a say in this matter?? :woohoo:

i am doing a dr. chicken's double smoked ham in addition to the bird though.....
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Actually our egg is getting a rest completely, no turkey, no egging at all...hard to believe!
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • No turkey here.

We are going with the standing rib roast. It will have an herb crust made out of parsley, rosemary, basil, oregano, garlic, and evoo. I have done this the past five years or so, but this will be the first year on the BGE.

Funny story about this...My mom offered to get the meat. I told her we are having eight adults so a 6 - 8 lb. roast would be fine with the sides. She misheard and thought I said 6 - 8 BONE roast. Huge difference. There is a 13.5 lb. side o' beef sitting in my fridge right now. She said she could take it back to Costco. I told her I will figure out a way to cope with it. I just need to make a lot more herb crust.

As for sides, we will have sweet potato casserole, grilled cherry / grape tomato salad with spinach, fresh baked rolls, and punkin pie to wash it all down. Yummy.

Best wishes for the holiday to all of you.