Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tea-Smoked Duck

LFGEnergy
LFGEnergy Posts: 618
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Good morning!

Spent last 30 minutes reading thru old posts, but did not find definitive how-to of tea-smoked duck. Did like idea of dunking duck in boiling water for few minutes to open pores, versus scoring....

Anyone done a Tea-smoked duck? One idea was to place spices in foil ball and place on coals. And if so, where did you get spices, and how much did you use?

Anyway, with next few days at house, trying a few things I have wanted to do over past year and never found the time!

Great day to all....

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    "open pores"?

the duck won't sweat fat. the dunk in hot water might jump start the melting of the fat, but duck skin is waterproof. assuming it had "pores" (we hear this alot in cooking...), i can't imagine it's going to magically allow the fat out.

when i do duck, i steam it for about 20 minutes. put a colander in a large pot which has maybe an inch of water in it, put the duck (i quarter it, but you could probably go whole) in the colander. prick the skin if you don't want to score it.

the fat will collect into the pot. then the par-cooked duck can be finished in the egg, and you can simmer the pot to get rid of the water. ...leaving ou the best fat in the world for pan frying potatoes.

never done tea duck. fish will hopefully jump in. he's a duck guru if i remember correctly.

always do mine pan-seared (after the steam)

Xduck_searing.jpg
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    just mix equal amounts of couple different teas and as mentioned place in a pouch, CAREFUL asthe duck will absorve the smoke so just use a little. Punch some holes with toothpick . toss on coals when ready to place duck on.

Duck, Whole, Quack Quack Aflac, Smoked Lacquered, Chinese, Richard Fl.

INGREDIENTS:
    1 8 Lbs Whole Duck
    Marinade:
    12 Ozs Yashida Marinade, Soy Sauce is OK
    2 Tbs Dry Sherry
    4 Tbs Turbindo Sugar
    3 Tbs Honey
    5 Tbs Hoisin Sauce
    2 Cloves Garlic, Minced
    1 Tbs Sesame Oil
    1 Tsp Chinese 5-Spice Powder
    1/2 Tsp Cayenne Pepper.
    1 Cup Garlic Chives, Chopped Fine
    2 Tbs Indian River Rainbow Pepper
    5 Tbs Todds Ribbon Cane Syrup ( Honey will work fine)
    1 Tbs Lemongrass Salt Powder
    3 Tbs Hioki, Ginger Dressing
    1 Tsp Galanga Ginger Powder, 1 Tbs finely chopped fresh ginger may be used
    1 Cup Sake, to fill the holder for the vertical stand.
    Smoke: (In A Foil Pouch)
    1 Tbs Celestial Seasonings, Orange Spice, Black Tea
    1 Tbs Oolong Tea
    1 Tbs Green Tea
    Seasoning Salt to Serve
    2-3 Tbs Schezuan Pepper Corns
    2-3 Tbs Sea Salt

Procedure:
    1 Took Jaccard Meat tenderizer machine and poked the whole duck all over. Mixed marinade together and placed the whole duck in a 2 gallon Zip-loc bag and into the refrigerator for 24 hours.Rotating every now and then. This picture is of another cook, but shows the Jaccard meat tenderizer.
    2 Seasonings:
    Cook:
    1 Used my vertical holder with a container and filled with about 1 cup sake and then placed duck on top ready for the cook.
    2 BLANK
    3 BLANK
    4 Set large BGE up indirect, 300°F with some rosemary twigs and the aluminum pouch of tea, pierced slightly to allow the smoke out.Had a drip pan to catch the juices and had about 1 cup of sake in the container the duck sat on. Basted with the marinade every 20 minutes or so. Pulled after 1 1/2 hours.
    To serve:
    1 Take the schezuan peppercorns and salt and grind in a morter & pestle or a spice grinder. Dip pieces of duck in the seasoning salt.
    Side Dish:
    1 Took the left over marinade, added the wings, feet and neck, and heated to reduce in volume a little, added equal parts honey and horseradish, about 2 Ozs each, some butter and cooked, oriental mixed vegetables, Served over mix of wild rice and brown rice.

Servings: 4

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Poultry

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2009/06/07
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    We've done it several times. It's become a New Year's Day tradition for the wife and me.

Steam the duck in a bamboo steamer, then roast in the Egg. If you're manic about doing every single step on the Egg, I suppose you could rig the wok and steamer on the Egg, but we just do it on the stove. The steaming liquid contains tea and you throw the leaves after steaming onto the fire in the Egg.

I'll ask Nancy if the recipe we use is online or in a book.

Stike, I like the idea of boiling off the water and reserving the duck fat. That will be part of this year's event! Thanks!
  • Holy smokes!!!!

Recipe is EXACTLY what I was looking for!! Thanks for sharing! Mouth watering already, and havent had breakfast yet.

Happy Holidays!
  • Are you getting a good tea flavor during the steaming? How long are you steaming?

Thanks for chiming in!!
  • Stike,

Nice cook! Looks tasty...

The dunking in hot water thing is not mine. Directions are several minutes in boiling water and then drying with hair dryer 15 minutes to open pores prior to roasting. Saw it on several cooking web posts also, but I have no knowledge one way or other....for such a minor point I will poke the holes rather than experiment.......

So, ducks are waterproof :whistle::whistle: :silly:
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    pores may open, but pores are not holes.
    you can go low and slow, and the fat will render, but you need physical holes or scoring. porse in duck skin are just like yours. and your fat does not leak out when you are sweating. it';s a cooking myth, and you can entirely dismiss it. dismissing stupidity is the luxury of the logical person. :laugh:

mechanically open the skin if you want the fat to come out more easily.

people talk about "pores in meat" too opening up, despite the fact that the meat has no skin. maybe they mean the grain, i dunno. but the proteins in meat tighten as they cook anyway. that meat (*and the duck skin) will tighten as it cooks. how pores open while it also tightens is beyond me.

but since you saw it on the internet, it must be true. hey, my answer is ALSO on the internet. that proves it is true too. :laugh:
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    I poke my ducks with a jaccard or a ice pick to let the fat render out.