Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is my Turkey SAFE!!!

tothemoon
tothemoon Posts: 7
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
On Saturday I picked up a fresh turkey from The Fresh Market. It was packaged in the standard turkey package like Butterball does. The expiration on the turkey was 12/01/10. The problem is at the top where they close the bag it has a few small pin wholes big enough to let liquid out, but my concern is that air is also getting into the bag. Will this speed up my expiration date? Should I be concerned?

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    as long as it has been kept cold then the pinholes will have no ill effect.
  • Cagey
    Cagey Posts: 86
    More than likely the market will take it back. They do not want an unhappy customer or bad press if you get sick. Being fresh and not frozen, if something could get out something could get in. Just my two cents. Why take the risk.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    I would think you're O.K. as long as you keep it refridgerated @ BELOW 40 degrees F.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    What is going to get in? If it is kept cool then what does it matter? Anything that can get in there that would hurt you is likely either already in there or not nearly as bad as what's already in there.
  • My thoughts are that a turkey kept in an air tight package will spoil much later than a turkey kept on ice in the fridge. Air is the enemy, but what is the tipping point?
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,168
    Will you translate please, Rod?? :woohoo: :woohoo:
  • Hoss
    I leave mine in a cooler of ice for 4 days,unwrapped.I do leave the drainplug open to drain.Been doin it 20 years,no problems.I got 5 iced down now. ;)
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    air is not the enemy.

bacteria is, and the bacteria is there whether the bag is breached or sealed. as long as your fridge temp is fine, you are fine.

please don't overthink it. there is no magical infection that will work its way into that bag.

it is perfectly normal to leave a turkey or chicken uncovered in the fridge overnight to dry the skin (makes it crisper when cooked).

you have nothing to worry about
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    my christmas roast (yes, christmas) is sitting in my downstairs fridge right now, un-wrapped and sitting on a rack for better airflow around it.
  • C'mon

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Hoss
    B) I like the way you roll! :)
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Well, with fresh poultry (or seafood, veal, eggs or even fruit and vegetables) there is an expected level of quality which is reflected in the price per pound that you paid.

Proper harvesting, processing, storage and transportation is critical in order to get what you paid for. If there is any doubt in your mind, just give a call to the market and if they are reputable, they will replace it with no questions asked. Customer confidence is (or should be) number one in their eyes.

In your case, if the bag has been breached and is a leaker... it's an indication of carelessness somewheres along the line...
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Hoss
    Not to hijack,but let us know how you do the"boneless" roast. :)
  • Pjoe
    Pjoe Posts: 224
    I would take it back and get a new one. You never know what some crazy might have put in those small pin holes!
    LBGE AR SMALL BGE WOO RING
  • Worked in high-end restaurants for 14 years; not Applebee's, more like $125/plate kind-of-joints. Bottom line, your turkey is just fine. You wouldn't believe how long we store stuff in restaurants. As long as it's been consistently chilled, a lot of stuff is fine for over a week. If you're in doubt, smell the turkey. Does it smell and look fresh, then it probably is. Americans can be kind of paranoid about their food. Europeans would never even be having this conversation. The British still hang their pheasants to age.

However, if you want to or have the time to, go and exchange the turkey.
  • stike
    evenwhenitsraining wrote:
    Americans can be kind of paranoid about their food.

thank you thank you thank you. you wouldn't believe how paranoid some are here. :laugh:

my favorite is the fallback, where some prefer to hide ignorance behind a veil of simulated prudence. viz: "if i don't understand the thing, i will assume it is going to kill me and my family, and so will throw it out"

(to head off the howls of derision in advance, 'ignorance' in this case means simply 'not knowing', not 'stupid'. i am not callin' anyone stupid....)

still, it is human nature to cast a wary eye on some suspect stuff.

occasionally when dry aging i have to remind myself "how it works", lest years of being told otherwise will creep back in and make me nervous at week five or so :laugh: