Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jamaican Firewalk Turkey

Rolling Egg
Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last night I decided to egg up a 21 pound Butterball turkey that I bought last week. Didn't really have anything in mind, I just knew I wanted to do a turkey without getting too involved with gravy and stuffings. I planned on taking it to work along with some white sauce and buns and letting the guys I work with devour it. I got several things out of the cabinet and this is what I came up with. First I got the egg up to 325 indirect with platesetter. I also used a 2 inch firering vs. the standard 4 inch because I was worried a little about this big bird and dome clearence. Next I took a stick of butter and melted it. I added a bottle of onion juice and a bottle of garlic juice to the melted butter. Then I added a couple heaping tbls of Dizzy Pig Jamaican Firewalk to the liquid. I used this as an injection, putting most of it in the breast, with a few spots on the legs and thighs. Next I took some Country Crock butter and mixed in quite a bit of Jamaican firewalk to it, forming a paste. I took my hand and run it between the breast and skin seperating it enough for me to get all the paste under the skin with a little left over for the outside. Next I sprinkled the firewalk on the outside of the skin along with kosher salt. Iced the breast and let it set for about an hour while the egg settled down. I used apple and some cherry wood for the smoke. It took about 4.5 hours or almost 13 minutes per pound. It is a very delicious bird! I haven't done very many turkeys, so all I have to put it up against is my dads fried recipe that he has been using for 10 years. I still think he can beat me out with the fried version. May be just me, as I'm a fried food lover. Very good turkey indeed and I can't wait to let everyone tear it up. Happy Thanksgiving to all!
IMG_7776.jpg
IMG_7780.jpg
IMG_7783.jpg
IMG_7785.jpg
IMG_7788.jpg
IMG_7809.jpg
IMG_7810.jpg

Comments