Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wicked Good Weekend Warrior ?

Options
tsbrady
tsbrady Posts: 101
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
bought my 1st bag of Wicked, normally used either BGE or RO and I was somewhat surprised on how big the pieces were, I mean like small tree trunks! 2" in dia and 6 or 8" long, very few small or med sizes in the bag, is this normal?

Comments

• WingRider
    Options
    Wicked Good tends to have large pieces which is good for air flow. I like WG especially for low and slows.
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    not uncommon at all. It's amazing that people complain when the bag comes with dust and then complain (not that you are complaining) when the lump is too big! :laugh:

WGlump2.jpg

I've been a faithful user of Wicked Good for years and have never been disappointed when I open a bag yet.

WGlump1.jpg
  • Sundown
    Options
    Of course that's on the Mini
  • tsbrady
    Options
    not complaining but just surprised, I do more short cooks than low & slow so I am thinking I buy both Wicked & RO and use a mix, RO & BGE have never been "dust" but the larger pieces are few and far between
  • FearlessGrill
    Options
    You can always break up pieces that are really big. You can't reassemble smaller ones.

I usually keep a charcoal bag when it's empty, and put any really big chunks I get from my Wicked Good while doing quick cooks in it to store. When I'm building the fire for my low and slow cooks, I know that I have some nice big chunks ready to go, and I don't need to dig through a bag to find them.

-John
  • Sundown
    Options
    One of the neat products WG has are briquettes made with a binder of flour paste I think. I need to get a couple of more bags to have around. They burn HOT if you want them to and I like to mix them in for lo 'n' slo cooks just for something different.

I didn't notice any more or less ash when I burned them.

Try'um you just might be pleasantly surprised.
  • Mflyer
    Mflyer Posts: 59
    Options
    That's all use!
  • WWSis
    WWSis Posts: 1,448
    Options
    I've never used anything but...so I guess I can't speak to whether it's bad for short cooks...but I actually do many more short cooks than long, and I don't have any complaints. Might take a few more minutes to get going.
  • tsbrady
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies everybody, I think I will use a mix of RO and WGWW Did veggie kabobs and a flank steak last night with a 50/50 mix and it worked out pretty good