Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another turkey ?????

Austin Egger
Austin Egger Posts: 256
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So my egg just got nominated to cook up the Thankgsiving feast (notice I said egg, not necessarily me) :laugh: Anyhoo, I have never cooked a turkey. I have been reading the posts and they have been very informative as usual. My question is should I cook it spatchcock style or Mad Max style? Does anyone prefer the spatchcock method for turkey day? I'm trying to find a more fool proof simple recipe than anything as I am not sure that I will have time for a trial run. The Mad Max recipe looks great and I have decided to go that route if I don't go spatchcock. I am a little concerned with making the gravy. Thanks as always!!!

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,662
    i made a turkey last weekend just to freeze some gravy for tday :laugh: takes the pressure off ;) after dinner is over and everyones picking up, if i havent had the time to make more gravey ill do it then for all the leftovers and maybe more for the freezer, it freezes well
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • You can make it exactly the same way you would do in an oven with excellent results. Make sure your lump is burning clean (exhaust sniff test) and cook to 160 breast temp and 180 thigh temp. You can ice the breasts for a couple of hours before placing on the egg to try and maintain the differential or cut the thighs and legs away and cook each piece seperately until their temps are reached. Keep a drip pan below on the platsetter and you will capture the drippings for gravy. One more thing, the egg cooks turkey very fast like a convection oven. Figure slightly over 2 hours at 375 dome temps for a 12 lb bird and slightly over 3 hours for an 18 lb bird. Alough 45 minutes for resting to cover any cooking time variations.
  • I purchased my large egg last year and did my first Mad Max Turkey and now I have to cook it again, since my father will not eat it any other way :laugh:
  • i have never done a spatchcock turkey so I have no input for you on that. I do make Mad Max turkey atleast 4 times a year. I printed out his instructions and followed them without a problem the first time I did it. i still use them to make sure I do not miss a step. I like to have at least 1 other person to help me with the setup in the kitchen. The 2nd pair of hands is helpful and reuces the stress because you have a sounding board for 2nd opinion.
  • I have a turkey sitter and cooked a turkey on the sitter just like I'd cook beer can chicken. I cooked it this past Saturday afternoon. I brined the turkey overnight in 1 gallon of water with 2 cups of sugar and 1 1/2 cups of Kosher salt added. I rubbed the bird with Penzey's Sunny Paris and poultry seasoning between the skin and the meat. I then cooked it in my large BGE for 3 1/2 hours at 325 degrees using some hickory chunks for smoke. The turkey weighed about 14 lbs. It turned out super.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    You could always follow the mm recipe and spatchcock the bird. Just use a pan to catch the drippings. Only part that wouldn't apply would be herbs, lemons, etc you put inside the cavity.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.