Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock Thank You

Options
Chef Boyaree
Chef Boyaree Posts: 150
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I recently posted a question about how to spatchcock a chicken w/out an overwhelmingly smokey/sooty taste. I have a Lg and an XL and have gotten very good (if I do say so myself) at many cooks, but the spatchcock eluded me. Based on the advice I got on the forum I bought an extender and fired up 2 nice Bell & Evans hens last night. They came out perfectly! The skin was crispy and the meat was moist and tender.

Thanks to all of you that offered suggestions. The extender proved to be the missing gem in my hardware collection!

Happy Cooking!

-Chef Boyaree

Comments

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    I love how my spatchcock chicken cooks up on my egg high in the dome. I look for small birds almost three pounds. I also pull out the keel bone and trim some of the fat off the bird. The sweet rub does it for me with crispy skin. I have been known to grill until the dark meat reaches 200-205F. This way my dry out the breast some but I like the dark meat better anyway. The left overs if there is any can be made into chicken salad. Tim :P