Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

So, my mini got here today...

Options
Mark Backer
Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
and I was very excited. We actually passed the UPS lady before we got home and were sure it was here. [p]Then, we got home, and the outside box looked terrible. We opened it all up, and the interior box looked perfect, and never opened. Like they got them, stacked them in the boxes in a corner and never touched them until now. [p]Then, I opened it up, and the fire box was in eight pieces, the little ceramic coal grid thingy was in two pieces, and there was no thermometer. [p]There is a cookbook, so I know how I'll start my first fire.[p]Anyway, who has a recommendation for my course of action? Do I start with the dealer, or should I just call big green egg and see what they'll do?[p]Eggsellent is crushed because she wanted this thing to be perfect, and now I just want to get the thing fixed without paying more than I paid for the mini total. [p]Any help would be appreciated...[p]p.s. WessB, I'm still thrilled with this deal and happy you told me about it. It's just the kind of thing that happens to me. Thanks again.

Comments

• Inna Avrelina
    Options
    Was this mini purchased from Ebay?
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Mark Backer,
    If it was me my first course of action would be to contact the seller. They are a BGE dealer and I see NO reason they wont follow BGE`s warranty policy and send you replacement parts, including the NEW steel ash grate. As far as the thermometer, most dealers just include them with the price of the egg, technically the egg doesn`t include a nest or thermometer, but you`d have a tough time finding a dealer who doesn`t include them himself. Some dealers add lump,ash tool, nest, etc. and sell it complete for a set price, if you were to ask that dealer for only the egg his price would most likely be less......I would think BGE headquarters will stand behind them either way as they were purchased from a retail dealer, just my thought tho....HTH...glad your happy..[p]Wess

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    Mark Backer,[p]You are in the Atlanta area. If it were me, I'd make a weekend pilgramage to the BGE Meca and pick up quick replacement of parts and start cookin on the little guy ASAP!![p]Smokey[p]BTW, how are the kids?
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Mark Backer,
    man
    that is disappointing....[p]i'd try the seller, but it sounded like they were trying to get out of the BGE biz. might not be very helpful.[p]the BGE HQ might help out. I'd wonder about the warranty in this situation, but it's worth a try.[p]...boy, i'm really helpful. "thanks alot, stike." [p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • jake42
    jake42 Posts: 932
    Options
    Mark Backer,
    I had a simular experience when mine came. It came without the daisy wheel,thermometer, book, and wire rings for the lid. Luckily I was there when it was delivered. I immediately called the seller and e-mailed them as well. The rest of the parts were sitting on my doorstep two days later.

• WessB
    Options
    jake42,
    The daisy wheel is an option. I`m highly surprised they threw that in....[p]Wess

• jake42
    jake42 Posts: 932
    Options
    WessB,
    This particular company (Americas Best Barbecue) offered it in the deal.

• JPF
    JPF Posts: 592
    Options
    Mark Backer,
    I guess I was lucky mine arrived yesterday double boxed and after opening all was ok. I am releived that it arrived ok, I had been putting way too much time in thinking of what some ups guys were doing to the box! I did not get a thermometer or daisy wheel but wasn't expecting one either. I had emailed the ebay seller and was told none was with it. I was also told that it was not drilled for a thermometer either but to my surprise there is a hole. Now Off to the local BGE store to get thermometer and a daisy wheel if they have one! Good luck and let us know how it all turns out. Jon

• WessB
    Options
    jake42,
    KEWL....when you say rings, are you reffering to the "bands" with the hinge on them? Just curious....[p]Wess

• Mark Backer
    Options
    Alan P,[p]Yep. It was an e-bay purchase. See, the thing is, I really think it was during shipping problem. I will post some pics mometarily. The outside box was destroyed, but the egg box itself was pristine.
  • Mark Backer
    Options
    WessB,[p]I called the lady that was selling them from the pottery company or whatever it was called. She said "no problem. I have replacements here. I will ship the firebox and grate out to you today."[p]Heck, I'd order from these folks again in a second. [p]p.s. I will keep you posted, and I may get to the BGE store today for a daisy wheel and cast iron bottom thingy.
  • Mark Backer,[p]That's terrible! Looking forward to a bit of fun and then ...[p]The seller should make this right for you - period.[p]- And, on the chance UPS damaged it, the seller (shipper) would have to deal with them.[p]- If the seller is uncoopertive, then take it up with BGE. You bought from a dealer, even if they are leaving the network. I would think BGE would help you under those crcumstances.[p]Good luck. Keep us posted.[p]Best,[p]CTB

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Mark Backer,
    any insurance through the shipper?

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • WessB
    Options
    Mark Backer,
    Glad to hear they are going to work with you, as they should.[p]Wess

• Better Days
    Options
    Mark Backer,[p]What is the deal you found on a mini and where?
  • Mark Backer
    Options
    Better Days,[p]It was on ebay from a retailer in texas. it was 119 plus shipping ($25) and you got the mini with the ceramic top and the cookbook. It did not come with a thermometer or the daisy wheel top, but they retail like that for 199, so we took a shot. [p]I talked to janet (the lady handling internet sales) and she is sending me replacement parts from stock, so I don't think this initial 12 was all she had. I think it was kind of a test for the response, and we'll see more soon.[p]Keep checking ebay for them...[p]HTH
  • tn slagamater
    Options
    Mark Backer, another option is to use high temp ceramic glue to put it back together. In a pinch you can always pull a temp guage out of one egg and stick it in another one.Remove the clip on the interior,of course....

• Mark Backer,[p]I just received mine a few minutes ago and the boxes were perfect but after unpacking, I also had a broken fire grate. I didn't purchase thru E-Bay but from Janet direct and I will call her in the morning and hope she has another replacement grate. I plan to use the grate out of my small and get it fired up in the morning for some seasoning. [p]Dave