Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temp. Probe Mistake !

Charlie tuna
Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Still learning after about five months of Egg ownership! Have 80 pounds of butts to cook for pulled pork. I intend to cook "low and slow" around 230 degrees using my BBQ Guru. I have a large that can handle five butts on the raised grid --three on the bottom and two on the top. Well, the first group fits in there and i'm cooking for about two hours and i'm hearing more hissing noises than normal and my dome stat is reading 330. About three hours into the cook, i'm realizing my internal probe is already up to 156. Checked things out and found one of the butts was placed on top of my "Grid Probe". So the dome stat was correct and the Guru was being fed a false reading because it was covered by the meat!! It cooked fast and will be fine mixed with the other butts. This batch cooked in 7 hours and the second batch took 24 hours.

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Man, that's a lot of butt! With all that butt it is probably hard to find room for the grid probe :).

Thanks for the tip- I'll keep that in mind.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

If there isn't much room for a probe, grab a shish kabob skewer. Break it off and place it in a piece of meat, then clip the pit probe to the end of the skewer. Make sure to allow enough distance from the meat to allow a proper temperature read.

Just an idea.

GG
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Great idea GG.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• The probe at the grate level is grossly over rated and lends itself to a number of potential problems reading the true temp due to heat wash, proximity to cold meat, etc. I have removed my egg dome thermo clip many moons ago and simply pull it out and stick in my Maverick probe. I get a nearly instant check between the two therms and the possibility of heat wash or too close to the cold meat is eliminated. Cook at 250 dome which means your grate temp is around 225.