Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Under 40 Minute Baby Back

Options
carpetman
carpetman Posts: 95
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just watched tailgate warriors and there was a guy that cooks bb ribs in like 37 minutes and Dr. BBQ liked them. Has anyone else tried this? I usually go 4 - 5 hours at 200

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Could they have been boiled, steamed, or braised prior to the 37min?
  • carpetman
    Options
    Didn't say on the show and the recipe does not say anything about it.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Sounds a little fishy to me. To adequetly cook them in that time would require a very, very hot fire, with less than great results....in my estimation.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    You need to talk with HungryMan or SpringChicken. They have both done this.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• JerseyEgger
    Options
    I believe Fieri said they were competition results too. I find that very hard to believe. After all why wood any competition bbq'r waste 5 - 6 hours on ribs when they can knock them out in less than 40 minutes and focus on their brisket, whole hog, or whatever other long cooks that have to do too?
    -Eddie
  • drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Options
    What the guy did was grill some very small ribs and he got them done just right. He also had a really good fiery rub on them and frankly they were very good.

I'm not sure I'd call them comp quality if for no other reason than they were so small, but he could have easily dried them out and he didn't.
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    when you say small, were they like the little danish ribs or more like these riblets, riblets are a quick cook but they can be finicky

2005000926.jpg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • drbbq
    Options
    Probably Danish ribs.
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Options
    I have grilled, smoked, BBQ'd ribs in many ways and what time does is change the texture of the meat.

I have had some pretty good ribs that were grilled quickly. Now they had more of a pork chop texture but that doesn't mean I didn't like them.

I will side with the Dr on this one.!
  • fishlessman
    Options
    those can be really hard to get right, usually not much meat
    fukahwee maine

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    drbbq have you done this cook yet yourself?
    We are starting to see more and more on it.
    The idea of a 40 min rib cooks and taste ok is good. Ok is a good thing.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• drbbq
    Options
    No, they don't have much meat on them so I probably won't try it.
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • civil eggineer
    Options
    I do mine in around 45 minutes total: 20 minutes in a pressure cooker and 10 minutes per side on the egg direct at 350 dome. I would also put them up against any low and slow cooking method regarding taste and texture.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I haven't used a pressure cooker on ribs since I got rid of my water smoker. While they were passable, they were never as good as anything I've had from the Egg. Might give it a try again. Doesn't seem like there would be as much smoke flavor.

The bit of water I used in the cooker did make a good base for sauce, tho'.
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    Options
    gdenby wrote:
    I haven't used a pressure cooker on ribs since I got rid of my water smoker. While they were passable, they were never as good as anything I've had from the Egg. Might give it a try again. Doesn't seem like there would be as much smoke flavor.

The bit of water I used in the cooker did make a good base for sauce, tho'.

is it possible for the meat to even pick up smoke after they have been pressure cooked? i thought once they were cooked to a certain point they wouldn't pick up smoke any more.
  • civil eggineer
    Options
    I really pour the smoke to them when I throw them on the egg. I place 3 or 4 chunks of hickory on top the the coals and throw the meat on. They take on a nice color and you can definately taste the smoke. I will admit they look like they came off of ET when the come out of the pressure cooker but they are delish and I am sticking to my story!
  • fishlessman
    Options
    meat picks up smoke flavor whenever smoke is present, smoke ring is what your thinking with the temps ;)
    fukahwee maine

• deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    Options
    fishlessman wrote:
    meat picks up smoke flavor whenever smoke is present, smoke ring is what your thinking with the temps ;)

thanks!