Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs in 45 minutes.

Options
HungryMan
HungryMan Posts: 3,470
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
And they came out good. Not mush on the bone, but they pulled fine. Used My TBQ seasoning that I have been ordering from Canada since I moved (escaped Detroit) in the mid 70's. Since I bought the egg and have tried many different seasoning, I find the TBQ very salty. Don't know if they changed it or I changed. The sauces are still unique.
2010-10-18194123.jpg
DSC_0009-2.jpg
DSC_0010-2.jpg

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    HOW did you do that? Have I been off the planet and we had a time shift?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    If you cook anything hot enough, it shortens the cook time. He probably left it on the engine block at work, fell asleep and thought it was only 45 minutes!
  • HungryMan
    Options
    It's the people that sell charcoal and gas that tell you 5 hours. I kept it high up and bounced between 350-400.
  • stevesails
    Options
    i use less lump at 250 for 5 hours, than i do at 400 for an hour. my perception anyway
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• Mickey
    Options
    Tell a little more on prep, etc.... when added sauce....
    this is ineresting... unless you are just total screwing with us :unsure:
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Options
    Congrats on # 3000 Al ;)

• eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Options
    Al, your turbo ribs look so good. :) I would like to see you cook those at a fest.

P.S. How can you add a small egg? It won't fit on your avatar.
  • mo egg
    mo egg Posts: 143
    Options
    if you have netflix theres a video called big bry's western style bbq and he cooks ribs direct on an open pit and they looked very good. it was very interesting. check it out
  • HungryMan
    Options
    Not screwing with you at all. Same as slow. I did raise the grid. Dry rub, flipped more often and sauce at the end. Also it was baby backs not full size spares. I just looked. Not at 3000 2925
  • HungryMan
    Options
    That's a good idea. Next fest will be Turbo Ribs. I like that. I will do them again tonight and video the cook.
  • Mickey
    Options
    Al did you do the mustard. I am going to try this.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    heck, i could do 3000 on a sunday afternoon.

(just kidding, congrats al )
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • HungryMan
    Options
    I didn't. You can. Remember. Keep it high, flip a lot so it does not burn. Can even put a little tin foil under to deflect. It's very simple. It will be a bit more firm so the ribs don't fold and break.
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    That's what I was trying to accomplish a few months back. Everyone was saying it can't be done. AZRP came close when he 'hot-tubbed' the ribs first. Mine were okay but not great by any means.

I may try your method next time.

Thanks.

Spring "Hotter And Faster" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • HungryMan
    Options
    Give it try. I did it with Babybacks.
  • HungryMan
    Options
    One of your post is equal to 25 of mine. Take of grammar and spelling, I'm in trouble!
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    aw stoppit.

hey. i didn't see in the first few replies here how you did these ribs. direct? 325?

you do know it's against the law here to cook ribs in under 6 hours? you may have to arrest yourself
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Leroy, I have experimented several more times, hot and fast works with BBs. -RP
  • SeaBassHWD
    Options
    I've done spares and BB this way for many years before I even had a smoker. The trick is to flip is many, MANY times to avoid burning. I've even done it recently and ended up winning a small family cook-off. Here's how I do it:

-get egg to 375*
    -cook direct on a raised grid and turn often to avoid burning the meat
    -turn for 30 min or until you notice it gets tender and juicy (you'll see clear juices running out)
    -in the next 15-20 min, add your sauce and keep turning
    -friends/family like it better when the sauce carmelizes on the meat and gives it a little crispy "skin"
    -let stand 15 min and enjoy.

Should taste good. My brother likes this better than my slow-cooked ribs