Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Table Top Turning Black

GeorgiaBorn
GeorgiaBorn Posts: 178
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey guys. Just wondering if this happens to any of you and what can be done about it.

I bought a table for my XL a few months ago. It was stained and sealed before I got it, but I added another coat of polyurethane to it a couple of weeks after I got it.

I have noticed that the top of the table turns black. I initially thought it might be mold from standing water so I pressure washed it and added that second coat of poly to it. Turns out, it's not mold. I think it may be soot from the Egg that settles on it during cooks. It doesn't just wipe off either. Last time I had to pressure wash the darn thing.

Do any of you have the same problem?

Comments

• Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    I built one table and just used a sealer [a very good sealer] and had this problem. My second table has multiple coats of marine spar urethane, problem gone. :cheer:
    Now I have to find the time to remove the egg from the first table, pressure wash, and varnish. I will probably just build a new one :) :laugh:
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    My table is over 3 years old. It has 6 coats of stain on it and other than a few nicks here and there it looks like new. No soot/black at all...I would clean it and do 4-6 coats....
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Wax it. Seriously.

Use a coat of car wax over the urethane. The soot/charcoal dust/ash will then wipe away.

I wax my table every few months.