Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chili question

Options
Auburnegger
Auburnegger Posts: 127
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Can I put all the ingredients in the dutch oven without browning the meat and cook it for 3-4 hours? At what temp should I cook the chili? Thanks.

Comments

• fire egger
    fire egger Posts: 1,124
    Options
    I brown the meat, helps develop flavors and if your using ground meat, you'l want to get rid of some of the fat.
    I usually keep the dome temp somewhere around 300, for a good simmer.

have fun,
    by the way, after yesterday, not sure I'm allowed to talk to you ;)

Go Hogs!!
  • Auburnegger
    Options
    Thanks for the advice!
    And you can thank us for helping your recruiting recievers for the next 3 years. That back up qb was on fire!!
  • fire egger
    fire egger Posts: 1,124
    Options
    apparently we need to recruit somebody!!:laugh: :laugh:
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

As long as you simmer the chili hot and long enough to cook the meat you will be fine.

However, as fire egger said there is some real flavor goodness in browning the meat first, for me it makes a big difference.

If you are using a dutch oven, put it right on the burning lump, put a little oil or fat in the bottom and then the meat. Stir so the meat browns and doesn't burn. If you feel the DO is getting too hot remove it from the lump. The DO will still hold the searing temperature for a while. If you over brown you will get some black pieces of meat and 'bottom goodies' but they are all good.

chili1.jpg

chili2.jpg

GG