Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

when to add wood chips

Options
CAEggFan
CAEggFan Posts: 31
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
When is the best time to add wood chips when starting fire? Say i'm going to sear a steak at 700deg. should I add chips at start or wait till grill is at 700 then add chips?

thanks!

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    I add them when I load my lump. Then light.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Chips? Right before you put the food on.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    I can't say I've used chips, but chunks get mixed in with the lump before lighting. That way it doesn't matter which direction the fire burns.

Like Molly said :)
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    On a steak, I usually throw a handfull on right when I add the steak. At 700, those chips aren't going to last very long.