Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wokked A Mile Yesterday

Options
JBUG99999
JBUG99999 Posts: 263
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, sort of...

We scrubbed the heck out of our wok and got it "almost" sparkling clean again:

0e321b93.jpg

ee4363ec.jpg

And then, per your instructions, we "seasoned" it:

f1599d70.jpg

Do you guys think it's done, or do we need to give it one more mile in the BGE before we start wokking again?

Thanks~

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Now you need to start cooking on it and developing
    "Wok Hay", the patina.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Julie, Yer good. Wok away! :laugh:
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Eggsakley
    Eggsakley Posts: 1,019
    Options
    I'll have the happy family please. :)
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Options
    Perfect!
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    "Just wok away Renee" :ohmy: , I mean Julie.
  • JBUG99999
    Options
    Sounds, great--it's my favorite, got a recipe?

We're planning to use the wok for the first time tomorrow for a pork stir fry.

Maybe have a Happy Family recipe by the weekend??? (PLEASE!)
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    JBUG99999:
    Sooo.......This isn't "Happy Family" even though I think I have one, most of the time...
    Here are a few dishes I do, that always seem to be very well received.
    I DO NOT claim to be a great oriental cook, but I do have fun wokin' on my EGG!

SINGAPORE MAI FUN
    Dad's Kitchen
    From Rob
    serves 8 (maybe more)

1 (6 - 8 oz) package skinny rice noodles (py mai fun)
    (Angel hair pasta also works well in place of the mai fun)
    1 C. chicken broth
    2/3 C. soy sauce
    1 t. sugar
    1/2 t. salt
    2 T. peanut oil, divided
    2 large egg, beaten lightly
    1 red bell pepper (about 1/2 C.) cut in strips
    2 to 4 C. cabbage or bok choy, shredded
    2 carrots, shredded / julienne
    2 T. grated fresh ginger
    1/4 t. crushed red pepper flakes
    5 garlic cloves, minced
    1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, thinly sliced
    2 T. curry powder
    1 lb. medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
    1 C. sliced green onion, finely sliced (about on bunch)
    8 oz. snow peas, 1/2 to 3/4 inch slice
    14 oz. mung bean sprouts

1)) Cook rice noodles according to package directions, leaving out any fat or salt that may be called for.

2)) In a sauce pan over Med. heat: Combine broth, soy sauce, sugar and salt, stirring together till sugar dissolves.

3)) Heat 2 t. oil in a wok over med-high heat. Add eggs; stir-fry 30 seconds or until soft-scrambled, stirring constantly. Remove from pan, and set aside. Wipe out any remaining egg with cloth or paper towel.

4)) Heat remaining oil (about 4 t.) in the pan over high heat. Add the chicken strips, stir-fry until done (about 4 min.) Add the carrot and cabbage; stir-fry for an additional 4 min. Then add the bell pepper, ginger, red pepper flakes, and garlic; stir-fry for an additional minute.

5)) Add snow peas, bean sprouts, curry, and shrimp; stir fry three to four minutes, or until shrimp is nearly done if using fresh.

6)) Stir in egg, noodles and broth mixture; cook until thoroughly heated through.
    Sprinkle with green onions.

SWEET & SOUR CHICKEN CHOW MEIN
    Dad's Kitchen
    With inspiration from Pacific Rim Fusion Restaurant, Amarillo TX
    Serves 6 to 8

2 to 3 lbs. cubed chicken breast
    Olive oil
    Ginger (1 t. dry ground and 1 t. fresh ground)
    1/2 C. soy sauce
    1/2 C. cider vinegar
    1 T. Worcestershire
    1/4 to 1/3C. brown sugar (to taste)
    3 T. corn starch, slightly rounded
    2 C. water
    1 Lg. onion, minced
    3 Lg. carrots, sliced
    3 ribs celery, sliced
    3 Lg. sweet Bell peppers (one green, one red, one yellow banana) sliced 1/4" x 2"
    1-5 oz. can water chestnuts, drained
    1-5 oz. can bamboo shoots, drained
    1- 14 oz can mushrooms (pieces), drained
    1 Lg. head broccoli, cut to bite sized stemmed flowerets

1)) Heat 2 to 3 T. oil in a wok over high heat. Brown chicken cubes, stirring often, season with a touch of salt, fresh ground pepper and about 1 t. dry ground ginger. Once browned, remove the chicken, reserving the oil.

2)) Add additional (about 2 T.) oil to the pan and heat over high heat. Add and sauté the onion, celery, peppers and carrots until the onion is tender. Reduce the heat to low and add the chestnuts, shoots, mushrooms, 1 t. fresh ground ginger, the soy sauce, vinegar and Worcestershire sauce, de-glazing any bits at this point (the use of a wooden scraper is helpful) Cover and simmer for about 5 minutes.

3)) Add the chicken back into the wok along with the broccoli cooking for about 5 minutes (adding a little water, as necessary). The broccoli should be tender crisp and the liquid boiled off to just a minimum amount remaining, so this needs to be watched carefully.

4)) Meanwhile: Mix together the corn starch, brown sugar and 1 C. water. Stir in the corn starch mixture, folding the mixture together, thickening the sauce.

Serve immediately on a bed of rice or noodles.

PORK LO MEIN
    Dad's Kitchen
    With inspiration from the Recipe Cottage
    Serves 4 easily

1 T. sesame oil
    2 T. vegetable oil
    1 t. ginger, finely grated
    2 to 3 C. bok choy, cut into 1/2" pieces (chopped cabbage will do)
    1 Sm. red onion, chopped
    1-1/2 C. bean sprouts
    8 to 12 ozs cubed pork
    1/2 C. chicken broth
    1/2 C. rice vinegar
    1/4 C dry sherry
    1 T. (rounded) corn starch
    1 T. soy sauce
    1/2 T. brown sugar
    dash or two of red pepper
    6 to 8 oz. of spaghetti noodles

1)) Cook noodles in plenty of boiling water, when al dente, drain and toss with sesame oil, set aside.

2)) Combine sauce ingredients in a "gravy shaker": Soy sauce, vinegar, sherry, brown sugar, corn starch and pepper, set aside.

3)) Heat wok, add oil, Add the pork and brown. Add the ginger and stir fry until fragrant (about 10 sec) add bok choy, onion, bean sprouts, stir fry about 2 to 4 minutes. Add broth, then when broth is hot (boiling), stir in the sauce stirring well, heating to thicken some.

4)) Add noodles toss well, cover and cook 2 min.
    Serve and enjoy
  • JBUG99999
    Options
    WOW! Thanks for the recipes! Plenty of wokkin' next week! :cheer: